Hash, Inc. Forums

Question for the Render Gods

rekh

Hello,

I'm back with the questions and stuff. :)

Okay ... is it possible to rip this (see link) style of rendering and reproduce it in AM?

http://www.orderindebris.com/

When I asked how he did it (heh ... always asking), he sent me a pic of his settings in maya.

I'm thinking toon and some tweeking of lights and stuff...

post-9708-1347849877_thumb.jpg

• Hash Fellow

Yes, toon rendering is pretty much what that is. Maya probably has more toon options, but we've seen people do knock-out stuff in the past with A:M.

I recall an anime thing about a "magic egg" that was totally convincing.

Note that toon lines are all about edges that suggest form. A good toon character may need edges explicitly modeled that a regularly shaded character would not.

Hmmnnn... if I'm reading what you are saying, it's the edges that are whats making the images pop ... giving them that added detail.

Hmmnnn... if I'm reading what you are saying, it's the edges that are whats making the images pop ... giving them that added detail.

If you need more "detailed edge lines", you can also decrease the bias for the toon line.

I left the line bias in this render to the default (20), but you could make it lower. I decreased the line width to 1 (from 1.5), made the Lion's diffuse falloff surface property = 0 % (from 100%) for sharper shadows, and made the shading method = standard (not toon). This is only 3 pass, with default lighting setup in 17a.

You could play with lighting, shadow darkness as well.

toonrender0diffusefalloff.jpg

If you need more "detailed edge lines", you can also decrease the bias for the toon line.

I left the line bias in this render to the default (20), but you could make it lower. I decreased the line width to 1 (from 1.5), made the Lion's diffuse falloff surface property = 0 % (from 100%) for sharper shadows, and made the shading method = standard (not toon). This is only 3 pass, with default lighting setup in 17a.

You could play with lighting, shadow darkness as well.

Ah ... time to play around.

Thanks, NancyGormezano.

Still playing around with the settings. The lines are too thick, and there is too much shadow. Oh ... I haven't attached the legs. I simply stuck them in the over bloated thorax just to get a feel of how it's gonna look when done.

Anyway, After I finish the bug this weekend, I'm back to getting those setting just right...

post-9708-1348194461_thumb.jpg

Edited by rekh

• 2 months later...

... render update.

Okay, so a couple of months ago, I started this thread in hopes of duplicating the style as brought forth by the creator of the awesome images found on the link in the first post.

As usual, the AM family stepped in, and put me on the right track.

I feel I'm pretty close ... which is going to be perfect for my comic.

I have one final issue that have yet to figure out. It's a question of shadows. Light shadow. At least I think it's an issue of shadows.

The turning gif (click on the second pic); is of a bug monster that was modeled in Animation: Master, then imported into Lightwave. I then rendered the bug using super cel shader with edges turned on to 1.5 percent.

If you notice, there is a slight shadow on the bottom of the face; where the red meets the green, and on the edge of where the red and green meets on the abdomen (butt looking part).

The still image is pure Animation: Master (first pic - side shot). The toon shader is on, and the toon lines are set to .75 ... I think, I'm on my lap top - no AM on my lap top. Here's the deal, I had to manually add the "light" shadow in the same areas on the still image in pixelmator (bootleg photoshop). I added a layer, and just drew the shadow of the areas in question ... plus on top of the legs.

In order to get the near vector toon-look used by the artist from the original link, I had to use flat shading.

Question, how do I get the light shadow on an image where I use the flat shade option? Is that possible? I mean for now, I can go with what I have because comic images don't move. But as I get deeper into AM, and want to do animations, I'll need the shadow effect ... plus it was pure hell flipping normals in LW after I imported the AM model into LW. AND, I'd rather do everything in AM.

post-9708-1353651710_thumb.jpg

post-9708-1353651724_thumb.png

• Admin
... why didn't my gif appear like serg2's?

Probably because the image you posted is large enough (in size) that the forum converted it to a thumbnail.

The thumbnails created by the forum are JPG format (i.e. the thumbnail (unlike the original image you've posted) is no longer a gif animation)

Here's the image linked directly from your last post:

post-9708-1353651710.gif

The code I used to post your image:

[img=http://www.hash.com/forums/uploads/monthly_11_2012/post-9708-1353651710.gif]

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...