Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

The Forgetful Curve

Rodney

• Admin

I ran across this graphic and it spoke to me of the whys and wherefores of forgetfulness.

Personally, I think the graph may be inflated by suggesting we retain only 21% at 31 days.

Surely it must be lower. ;)

Obviously there are factors that will improve retention of information.

Exposure time itself is a factor.

Then there is the rule of "First Learned Best Remembered."

And "Last Learned Longer Maintained" (paraphrasing this one... I must not have fully learnt it!)

The_Forgetful_Curve__overlay_.png

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin
"I've forgotten more than you will ever know" is the saying.

If I'm remembering that correctly.

That is true on so many levels. (Especially when you are saying it!)

Between what we do not yet know and what we are sure to forget its a wonder anything will ever be known.

I'm also equating this 'law' with why we'll always need more video tutorials. ;)

I took intro psych last year and this sorta thing was touched on, however, it's not forgetting the information so much, as being able to recall it. Recalling it relies though on properly storing the memory. If in those integral first few seconds you don't encode it well, then recalling it becomes infinitely harder as time progresses (as the curve indicates).

At Nortel I would so frequently claim I didn't recall some pertinent exchange that my manager started beginning conversations with "Robert, I need you to put on your memory cap for a minute..."

Dude, they gave you memory caps there? What a...what a, um...what's the word I want?

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone used the "memory palaces" technique? That's supposedly the main trick for people that can remember the sorted order of a deck of cards or a whole room-ful of peoples' names.

I've read a few times how great of a good idea they are and read about trivial examples, but I can't really figure out how to use such a thing effectively, and haven't seen a serious real-world example.

• 2 weeks later...