Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Report of goDaddy being hacked

Darkwing

In case you haven't heard and/or are wondering why some sites are down, I guess goDaddy was hacked and their sites have been taken offline. I believe Anonymous is taking responsibility for them. I personally am hoping that there was no data loss, I'm gonna admit I haven't backed up the Red Squad site after uploading a bunch of stuff to it recently...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I personally am hoping that there was no data loss, I'm gonna admit I haven't backed up the Red Squad site after uploading a bunch of stuff to it recently...

It's things like this that make me very leary of 'Cloud Computing" in any form.

From what I can tell, the culprit dud something where basically it floods the DNS server with more than it can handle, which then causes it to crash. After that, the DNS wouldn't restore which is what was causing the prolonged outage. So it wasn't really a hack, just an attack! (oh ho, my rhymes crack me up :P )

I wrote and suggested she reconsider.

That seems a bit extreme.

Anyone can be attacked.

The fact that they recovered so quickly (with no data loss?) should be a consideration in why she should should sign up with them.

She's not very web savvy and gets nervous about stuff like this. Also I hadn't realized but she has her email with gD and was without email for a couple days, which freaked her out. On the other hand, if there was no hack and they just messed up, that's not good either.

• Admin

This is just off the cuff stuff... consider/ignore as you see fit.

While I can imagine the down side of people not being able to communicate (via email) I can also imagine how wonderful it might have been for some to be free from the shackles of technology. Even if only for a few moments.

She's not very web savvy and gets nervous about stuff like this

I don't think giving in to the doom and gloom will in any way encourage her.

Telling her to be patient and that things will be just fine... now that might help to calm her nerves.

The way I see it, everyone just got a rare view into how technology works (or in this case... how it doesn't always work)

Well I don't have any direct experience with goDaddy, though I do with Earthlink, Register.com and Network Solutions. She was/is in dire need of recommendations and I recommended NS, but I could also tell her to stick with gD for that matter.

But really, what's up with their outage? It's still not clear and I want her to be confident in whatever I tell her.

• Admin
But really, what's up with their outage? It's still not clear and I want her to be confident in whatever I tell her.

One of my first thoughts when I saw the news was that we might never know what really happened.

There are several reasons for me to believe this but consider that goDaddy is in their crisis management stage. They want to appear to be above board and open with their customers and yet they have responsibilities (security concerns etc.) that will not allow them to divulge everything. So they weigh the risks associated and let the PR people do their job.

They have a balancing job to do and at this point they are in an interesting position; they have a whole lot of publicity... and when folks thought it was hackers they even had some sympathy... but it runs the risk of being very bad publicity.

What I find particularly curious is how the reports of Anonymous claiming the attack and targeting them for very specific reasons plays into this.

Someone is not tellin' the truth. Many have and still are jumping to erroneous conclusions.

GoDaddy's reputation is at stake.

Anonymous's reputation is at stake.

This reminds me of the old axiom, "Why lie when the truth will do."

The sad thing is that we (the people) lie even when we don't have to. As such we can hope for, even work for, but never expect full transparency.

(Don't share this with your friend... it will only make her more nervous!) ;)

Well I don't have any direct experience with goDaddy, though I do with Earthlink, Register.com and Network Solutions. She was/is in dire need of recommendations and I recommended NS, but I could also tell her to stick with gD for that matter.

i saw a press release from GoDaddy yesterday from the company prez. In it he was quite clear in stating that the outage was not due to either a hack attack or a denial of service attack, but rather an internal issue of internal network dns routing tables being corrupted only. On an internal network these tables tell thc tcp/ip protocol what server is handling what domain name. If the table gets corrupted then the network requests never get delivered, giving you the site is down message.

Long and short of it is, based on what GoDaddy is saying, it was an "our bad", and not some nefarious influence from the outside. None of my sites on godaddy had an issue, btw.

• Admin

Most of these companies have serious redundancy in place so it's amazing that this even made the news.

I'm not sure how long connections were down. (Haven't googled it)

Now that everything is back to normal everyone will move on but I hope someone does trace the leads back and determine who released the info regarding Anonymous and who sought to exploit the event for their own purposes. Those are the folks to steer clear from.

Well, here's a little background for you. Back some months ago when all that SOPA/PIPA stuff was going strong, it was found out that goDaddy supported SOPA/PIPA. After quite the outcry (not to mention a threat by anon to take them down because of their support for SOPA) goDaddy I do believe did retract their support for SOPA/PIPA. Now according to the person who claimed to do this, it wasn't an anon sanctioned attack, but I do believe this person is or was part of anon at some point in time

• Admin
Well, here's a little background for you. Back some months ago when all that SOPA/PIPA stuff was going strong, it was found out that goDaddy supported SOPA/PIPA. After quite the outcry (not to mention a threat by anon to take them down because of their support for SOPA) goDaddy I do believe did retract their support for SOPA/PIPA. Now according to the person who claimed to do this, it wasn't an anon sanctioned attack, but I do believe this person is or was part of anon at some point in time

Exactly. This is why Anonymous needs to set the record straight. Some fringe element is ruining their rep.

Jeeze... they can't even hack goDaddy.

What a bunch of losers.

This is a crisis for both goDaddy and Anonymous. ;)

• Hash Fellow
Why when I was a boy, we would write all the 1's and 0's ourselves! And we liked it!

I either had to write my ones and zeros in the sand with a stick or, if i wanted permanent storage, I chiseled them onto a stone tablet!

Anyone remember the days when you would buy a magazine that had the program code listed in it and you would type that in manually?

• Admin
Anyone remember the days when you would buy a magazine that had the program code listed in it and you would type that in manually?

I loved those magazines and always looked forward to them. :)

The one I remember best focused on creating assembly code utilities for use with batch files.

I started to think just about anything could be done with a text based batch file and then they came out with this thing called Windows.

I recall saying, "Looks really cool" but can it run my batch files? :lol:

(I really wanted a Mac back in those days)

• *A:M User*
I feel old now. I can't remember what magazine it was, I think when I was a kid I had a subscription to Omni and they had Basic programs you could type in. It's been so long, it may have been another magazine but can't think what else it could have been ( I didn't subscribe to any computer specific magazines like Byte or anything).

You would spend hours typing some program in and then of course it wouldn't run. Then the fun of looking for your typo begins :)

I used to buy COMPUTE! and COMPUTE!'s Gazette. They both improved my typing! Sometimes I would try to type in one of the BASIC programs for one of the other computer brands and then "port" it over to the Commodore VIC-20 or Commodore 64.

I was quite happy when they added a checksum to the program for entering in binary data.

My typing got very good because of those magazines.

• 2 weeks later...
I feel old now. I can't remember what magazine it was, I think when I was a kid I had a subscription to Omni and they had Basic programs you could type in. It's been so long, it may have been another magazine but can't think what else it could have been ( I didn't subscribe to any computer specific magazines like Byte or anything).

You would spend hours typing some program in and then of course it wouldn't run. Then the fun of looking for your typo begins :)

I used to buy COMPUTE! and COMPUTE!'s Gazette. They both improved my typing! Sometimes I would try to type in one of the BASIC programs for one of the other computer brands and then "port" it over to the Commodore VIC-20 or Commodore 64.

I was quite happy when they added a checksum to the program for entering in binary data.

My typing got very good because of those magazines.

That's bizarre. I (mouseman/Chris D) just typed this and it got posted as Roger. I wonder if that will happen again.

EDIT: Nope, came out as me that time. Bizarre.

That's bizarre. I (mouseman/Chris D) just typed this and it got posted as Roger. I wonder if that will happen again.

Of course, we've never seen you both in the same place at the same time...

Nah, pretty sure we're 2 different people. I'm not much of a hat guy. :)

It would seem that my original comment disappeared and now only exists as a quote? And somehow Mouseman's post got posted under my name?

Is it possible the forum was hacked, or is the bulletin board software just that buggy?

• Admin
It would seem that my original comment disappeared and now only exists as a quote? And somehow Mouseman's post got posted under my name?

Is it possible the forum was hacked, or is the bulletin board software just that buggy?

No, I think Chris just accidentally edited your post thinking he was posting a new post.

Chris is one of those high fallutin' Publisher/Editor* types in the forum.

He got powers he don't even know.

*Translation: Supermoderator

No, I think Chris just accidentally edited your post thinking he was posting a new post.

*Translation: Supermoderator

LOL

I imagined that last bit being said in the voice of Meatwad.

mwad.jpeg

Whoops. I'm not sure what I would have clicked on that would have done an edit but made it look like a quote reply. I will keep an eye out and be careful! Sorry for any confusion, and especially apologies to Roger.