Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Feet and Hips

Darkwing

One of the problems I've been encountering with my characters for Red Squad is that they're very stiff. Joints and things don't really roll and the model never looks relaxed or natural. So at first I thought it might be my modelling and then found out it's my rigging. To date I've just been using the 2008 rig (which I do quite like) but I think it's time for a more customized approach. So I just slapped some bones down and already the model moves much more fluidly. Now, my rigging knowledge is next to squat. So my question is, how do I do that thing where feet stay on the ground and when you move the hip or something, the feet stay placed firmly on the ground, allowing the model to bend at the knees and all that jazz?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

First I'll posit that you are dong something wrong with the 2008 rig if you are having serious trouble with it.

So my question is, how do I do that thing where feet stay on the ground and when you move the hip or something, the feet stay placed firmly on the ground, allowing the model to bend at the knees and all that jazz?

The 2008 rig certainly does that.

For an introduction to the concept and simplest possible implementation of "IK" see the "Simplest IK Leg" video on my screencam tuts page.

First I'll posit that you are dong something wrong with the 2008 rig if you are having serious trouble with it.

Y'know that wouldn't surprise me in the least...

So my question is, how do I do that thing where feet stay on the ground and when you move the hip or something, the feet stay placed firmly on the ground, allowing the model to bend at the knees and all that jazz?

The 2008 rig certainly does that.

For an introduction to the concept and simplest possible implementation of "IK" see the "Simplest IK Leg" video on my screencam tuts page.

Oh yeah, and it works fine in the 2008 rig, I just wanna know how to do it myself! And I'll check that tut out immediately!!