Hash, Inc. Forums

Hyenas

zandoriastudios

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Here he is rigged with textures! I'm still tweaking the fur...Can I tweak the brightness down? It looks better without casting shadows, but still too much contrast with the surface that is emitting the hair. I'm thinking about giving that group a darker color, then turning down the properties driven map strength that is coloring the hair to see if that will darken it a bit... If anyone has suggestion, I would appreciate it.

WIP2_11_13.jpg

• Hash Fellow

Lookin' good. Have you tried FakeAO with the hair? that might help to darken the skin and hair roots.

The problem I see is when the surface is angled such that the hairs are pointing straight at the camera and the hair doesn't appear to cover the skin.

• Admin

Looking good Will!

The problem I see is when the surface is angled such that the hairs are pointing straight at the camera and the hair doesn't appear to cover the skin.

I believe the classic approach would be to add a second decal (the first driving the hair color) to fake smaller hairs on the surface of the skin. (If you are using a decal to drive hair direction then you'd be adding a third decal)

I can't recall if it was one of the Anzovin videos or a Tech Talk but someone did demo the technique via a video tutorial.

My memory says it was Raf Anzovin who conducted the tutorial. He used straight hair from a top view to create the skin's decal.

I recall the video because he then added a few purple hairs to break up the contrast of the other hairs.

Adding that decal would also darken the base of the hair/skin which would help with the shadow transition.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Hash Fellow
After a lot of experimenting, I just never got happy with the look of the fur. This world has a LOT of animal characters--and It was taking an hour per frame! So...I've gone to the darktree "plush" material for the body.

Is it the last one in the first post?

I'm with the others, I don't think losing the hair takes anything significant away from the character. It looked great even when it wasn't textured.

It's a necessary sacrifice.

yes, I just edited the first post:

post-42-1362107920_thumb.png

Once I get the ninja hoods, helmets, etc on the variations of the plush hyena, it may not matter if there is any hair. Or I could just use hair on the animals that have a mane or beard and just leave the body hair plush.

You could go for painted fur. Much more work, but I wonder if you could create a repeating pattern for it?

I was looking to see if I could find an example of how they've done it in The Clone Wars (which uses a painted look for all the textures), but couldn't find a relevant example.

But you can see how they handled the long fur of Chewbacca:

t1larg.chewie.jpg

Ninja version! I modeled the hood, but just modified the bump and color to get the pants and sleeves. The background is just a rotoscope, because I think layers and rotoscopes are how I will do most of the locations (nice because I can render the complete frame and not have to render in passes).

hyenaninja.png

tar_hyena.jpg

• 1 month later...

Doing some experimenting today with Sculptris. This is a rock formation modeled and textured in Sculptris, exported as .obj and imported as a PROP in A:M. The background is a photo. (I'm going to do paintings for the backgrounds, so this is not the final look that I'm going for..)

sculptris_screencap.jpg

tar_hyena2.0.jpg

• 2 weeks later...