Hash, Inc. Forums

Johnny Quest remake

Roger

• Admin

This guy may be having fun but he's also got me scratching my head.

As Johnny Quest is not in the public domain I'd be very wary of putting money into this one.

The owners of Johnny Quest might be legally bound to shut this production down with a 'cease and desist' .

$65,000 sure seems like to pay for a guy just to have fun animating.

But.... Hmmmm.... maybe he is on to something here. Perhaps I can sign up for $75K to do my own film reimagining of the original 'Star Wars' film... just for personal satisfaction that is.

• *A:M User*

Yeah - I just skimmed it at first and though "oh that's interesting, creator wants to reboot it" but then looked more closely and realized it was a fan tribute. You are probably right that it will be shut down. It would be different if it was a parody. Venture Brothers is more or less a parody of Johnny Quest.

But yeah, seeing as how this is a "just for laughs" project it seems unlikely to get funded. He doesn't have the rights so it is unlikely the show is going to see a reboot. Although who knows.

He's asking for waaaaay too much money. I appreciate stop-motion animation, and feel it's a worthy artform to tell a story. 3D has yet to really capture the tactile nuances and imperfections that make stop-motion so compelling. Still, $65,000 for a 20 min short based on someone else's property?

Steve P.