Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Wizardly stuff

pengwin

It's been a looong time since I created anything remotely good in AM, even longer since I posted anything.

So I decided to get back into it and create a new character.

I've never been good at creating realistic people, so I am creating a cartoony style wizard.

Here's the first WIP shot of the head:

wizard1.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Admin

I know you are early into your modeling and you'll get to refinement later and if you are mainly working on this character for gaming purposes then you may want to stay simple here but here are a few suggestions...

Wherever you can, try to add some straights versus curves as this will give your design a built in sense of weight.

It'll also help present the change that occurs as the character is viewed from different perspectives.

As an example, pick a point anywhere on your character and identify a line that is in view at or near that point.

Now look at the other view (side view) and find that same line. If it is exactly the same (i.e. it's still a straight line of the same length then you are missing out on some 'free' animation later on. By creating a straight line in one view and a curved line in another you can count on your three quarter view being different too. A change from line to curve (or curve to line) can really pay off later for you.

In the drawings I've added I didn't try to change much but did try to emphasis where I would add accents and suggest weight via lines and curves. An example of this might be the wizard's belly. I'm not suggesting it should be down... it could actually be up... but that would depend on the intended personality of the character. Adjusting these straight lines where the weight will be also will equate to 'free' animation as you may find you don't need to animate as much. The hat as well, if you can break up the symmetry that will allow the audience to get a sense that the character is actually turning in space whereas with too many straight lines they may not immediately get this. Although, if you are going for 2D flat projection ala Hanna Barbera... you may want to stick with the straight lines!

I'd also make the stars just a little more prominent or increase the number of stars over all.

Nice update! :)

How is the particle hair working for you. Are you finding it easy enough to adjust?

minorsuggestions.png