Hash, Inc. Forums

New Rigs - been a while

Douglas Ferrin

Greetings,

It's been a few years since I rigged anything - I'm wondering what the difference between the 2001 rig - last one I used - and the 2008 as well as the tsm2 rigs are. Also, are there new instructions for the various rigs? I thought I saw an illustrated rigging walk-through (using thom?) the other day but can't find it again. Any points in the right direction(s) would be much appreciated. Thanks,

Douglas

Welcome back!

regarding TSM2... the TSM2 plugins still work in 32-bit V16 for PC and the basic manual can be found in the HXT folder that TSM2 installs.

Thanks Rob - still not sure if the tsm2 is a new rig; is the 2008 a new rig? I have v17 and can use either 32 vor 64 bit. Any recommendations? Thanks again.

Doug

Welcome back!

regarding TSM2... the TSM2 plugins still work in 32-bit V16 for PC and the basic manual can be found in the HXT folder that TSM2 installs.

Thanks Rob - I can do 64 bit and I'm up to v17 - just really wondering if there are any signifigant differences between the (what appear to be) new rigs and the 2001. I've more or less combed the forum, but haven't stumbled into any clear answers. Thanks,

Doug

the squetch rig was getting really easy to install over the years. it´s still a bit more effort than the 2008 rig or tsm, but it has more features as well. i´d say for an average character it takes about one or two extra hours to rig a character with the squetchrig instead of 2008 or tsm.

I've used mostly 2008 Rig and 2001 Rig and a small bit of the Anzovin Rig from TSM1, so my experience isn't universal and I'm going on memory for a lot of this. Given that, here are my impressions of choosing a rig:

No matter which rig you choose, the process for doing CP weights is the most time consuming part. I get caught up in CP weighting every time I try it. Also, once you choose a rig, you are kind of committed to it; there is no universal skeleton of geometry bones that you can assign CPs and CP weights your character to and then just drop your rig of choice onto in an action to animate.

The choice of which rig depends on what you are interested in. If you just want to install a rig and go without having had lots of experience with rigging characters, I'd suggest starting with LiteRig or TSM2 or possibly 2008 Rig. If you want to learn how to create your own rig by looking at examples, probably start by looking at the LiteRig and 2001 Rig, and move on to 2008 Rig. If you have some experience installing rigs and want the most flexibility as an animator, probably 2008 Rig or Squetch Rig are your best bets.

• 2001 Rig - A basic biped body rig that was a great development for its time but shows its age. Relatively easy to install. Basic controls for the animator, but a lot of things are difficult. Relatively easy to understand how it's put together.
  • LiteRig - A relatively easy-to-install biped and race rigs. Relatively easy to install. A fair amount of flexibility for the animator. A good rig to look at to learn rigging concepts. Created by Holmes Bryant
  • 2008 Rig - Intended as a full-featured modernization to the 2001 Rig, and lots of modern features. Medium difficulty to install. Lots of flexibility for the animator. More difficult to understand the rigging concepts. Has body rig; a face rig exists, but I don't believe installation instructions are available. Created by mtpeak2 (Mark Skodacek)
  • The Setup Machine 2 w/ Anzovin Rig - One of the earlier full-featured rigs which installs the rig onto the geometry bones; originally a commercial product, released for free by Anzovin after they stopped supporting the A:M. Can do bipeds or quad or more legs. The plug-in only works on 32-bit version of A:M up to 16 (not confirmed on 17); there is some effort to get the code ported to version 17, but it's not clear whether that will be successful. Rig is created by Raf Anzovin.
  • Squetch Rig - a full-featured rig. The most difficult of these to install, but has been getting easier over time. A few more features than 2008 Rig including squash/stretch. Difficult to understand how the rig is put together. Created by itsjustme (David Simmons)