Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Prop crashes AM with AO?

I was testing ao using a prop next to an AM model to see if the prop gets included in the ao render or if it is ignored and just rendered normally.

When I deleted all the lights and kicked up the ambient light to 80 being the only light in the scene AM crashes. Not sure if it's a bug or just me.

Would be nice to be able to render imported objects with a little ao.

ao_prop_test.zip

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Hash Fellow

AO on props is actually new in v17 but it worked here in my quick test:

AOTest.JPG

Remember to set the Global Ambiance stuff in the Chor settings.

I have a slightly later beta than the release v17. It's POSSIBLE it has some fix not in your version, but AO wasn't mentioned as an issue so I doubt it.

Does it always crash for you?

• Admin
When I deleted all the lights and kicked up the ambient light to 80 being the only light in the scene AM crashes. Not sure if it's a bug or just me.

Would be nice to be able to render imported objects with a little ao.

This sounds like it could be related to local memory. Make sure you save your Project prior to rendering to lock in any changes you've made. I assume this saving process frees up memory and (probably?) points A:M to the saved information on the drive rather than information stored in memory.

General Rule: Saving often reduces variables.

• Hash Fellow

The most annoying bugs in A:M are the ones that happen the first time I try something and then never happen again.

It makes me feel like Gladys Kravitz on Bewitched. "But Abner, I swear there was an elephant in the Stephens' living room just five minutes ago!"

It may just be a problem with deleting lights and have nothing to do with AI in combo with props.

I put in a bug report (which is reported to be fixed in next version) where there are only 2 bulb lights in the chor along with the ground plane. Sometimes when the 2nd instance of the bulb light is deleted, A:M crashes. If it doesn't crash then the 1st bulb light no longer illuminates the ground (scene is dark) (always).

Since I couldn't get it to consistently crash, I'm not sure if the fix will address the crash problem. When it did intermittently crash, I believe I had monkeyed with turning on/off other properties, and/or I may have been trying to play with ambiance intensity before deleting the bulb.

That is a good possibility. I did delete the lights and AM did crash a couple of times in a row. Turning off the lights or maybe trying a really low value of 1 on them might be an easy work around.

Strangely I reopened the file and it did work with Robs settings under the chor. I'll fiddle fart with that some more when I get some time.