Hash, Inc. Forums

black hole effect

Master chief

• Hash Fellow
I tried some streaks in a Vortex and negative Fan but it's hard to get the particles to move slowly...

Pretty danged cool, Rob. Did you try 'upping' your project FPS to some ridiculous amount, like 400 ?

For some reason that made them go faster :unsure:

I tried some streaks in a Vortex and negative Fan but it's hard to get the particles to move slowly...

Pretty danged cool, Rob. Did you try 'upping' your project FPS to some ridiculous amount, like 400 ?

You can do a trick there: Rendering at 50fps (or more) and set the playspeed to 25fps.

See you

*Fuchur*

• Admin

Well, maybe I'm missing something here but 400FPS is considerably faster than 24FPS.

To slow it down to a relative speed in the other direction you'd want to drop to 4FPS (less feet of film/frames traveling past the viewer every second).

Edit: Just saw Fuchur's post.

Fuchur's recipe will (at least in theory) slow a 50FPS sequence down by 1/2.

What makes it somewhat theoretical is the variables that can effect the viewer's 'real' playback speed.

In order to know for sure and hit a precise target we'd need to know more about those variables.

EDIT: THAT is a very cool effect. Me likey. :)

• Hash Fellow

The problem was that the motion per frame became greater with greater FPS settings. Setting the FPS slower does get slower particle motion per frame but other aspects of the particle motion are skewed by this too. Getting it right won't be as simple as I thought.

You can experiment with it...

Vortex02_slower.prj

• Hash Fellow

Here's the approach suggested by Pixelplucker earlier

VortexH.mov

Each spline ring is on its own bone. One pose rotates the bones and the other pose scales them.

StarsBlackHole.zip

I lifted that picture off of APOD so it's probably not free to use, it's just for this demonstration.