Hash, Inc. Forums

error when rendering

Master chief

I'm finally back with a brand new copy of AM and raring to go , only problem is a error right out of the gate

AVIFileCreateStream error:

C:\Users\(my user name)\AppData\Local\Temp\AMV17\Untitled\Untitled0000.avi.

i get this when i render animation preview but other wise the render goes of with out a hitch, it just complains that it cant write the file, then it cant delete the file

a render to file does not cause this issue

so far i have gone throptionshe optons menu but thnot does nto appear to be a place to chtemporarytemperary location to write these and i am running as administrator

• Hash Fellow

Welcome back to the forum!

Would you believe i haven't done an actual "animation preview" since 1998? I forgot that existed!

hmmm.. that error message makes me think that it's having trouble with the codec that is selected for "AVI". I'm not sure where you set that for Animation Previews" if it isn't the regular render panel in the Options tab.

The other possibility is that thats' a non-existent path on your PC... but it's making a file in that location , right?

• Hash Fellow
I think your right Rob, when you said that you thought it was a codex error i tryed rendering directly as an AVI file and AM collapsed after rendering the first frame. Question now is does AM use my own codex files or its own, and if thats the case how do i refresh them?

You set the codec in your render settings under "set". For AVI, "Uncompressed" is the only standard one that works with A:M.

My preference for making video is to render to a JPG or Targa sequence (or AVI if i need sound) and recompress it with Quicktime Pro.

In 32-bit A:M (you can have this installed also with your license) you can load an image sequence into your images folder and "Save AS" as a quicktime movie and choose compression settings there.

Quicktime Pro is much better since it gives you access to the audio compression as well.