Hash, Inc. Forums

64bit For Mac's?

markw

Just wondering if anyone can say if a 64bit version of A:M is likely in the future for us Mac people?

Are you sure that you dont have a 64bit version already?

Macs are no longer sold with 32bit-cpus and like that I thought that more recent Mac-versions of A:M are 64bit...

(this is only a guess and does not need to be true!)

See you

*Fuchur*

Just wondering if anyone can say if a 64bit version of A:M is likely in the future for us Mac people?

Are you sure that you dont have a 64bit version already?

Macs are no longer sold with 32bit-cpus and like that I thought that more recent Mac-versions of A:M are 64bit...

(this is only a guess and does not need to be true!)

See you

*Fuchur*

Which is what got me thinking.

Here's what System Profile has to say about the AM; 64-Bit (Intel) No

On a side note, can we not upload attachments in this part of the forum? I see no buttons for it.

• Admin
On a side note, can we not upload attachments in this part of the forum? I see no buttons for it.

I just tweaked a few settings that might have previously prevented you from uploading to the Open Forum. Forum members that are logged in using their registered login should have no problem uploading attachments to this forum. If members can't upload attachments in any location in the forum some setting or privilege is likely wrong. The primary exception to the rule is in the forum archives that due to the nature of archiving may not allow any posting.

I know of no exception where Guests can upload files to the forum. In order to upload files guests will need to use a registered login. Members that don't use their registered login and instead use the captcha guest login for posting to the Open Forum won't be able to upload.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

I will appreciate if you can try again and confirm that all is working as it should.

• Admin

Thanks for the confirmation.

I'm not sure about the 64bit Mac thing. Due to contraints imposed on programmers there are bound to be things with A:M that are not 64bit optimal. Perhaps that may be why 64bit displays as 'no' on the Mac. I thought everything was now 64bit on the Mac. There are so many variables that may be entirely Mac specific that as a PC user I'll not speculate further than that.

I was just looking this up the other day actually. Ever since Snow Leopard, Mac has the option of being either 32bit or 64bit, it mostly depends on if the hardware is compatible. There is some check by going into Terminal and typing some command, but I forget it. Anyways, if your Mac is newer, than you most likely have the option to boot into 64bit if it's not set as the default in the first place. On bootup, I believe the procedure is to press the 6 and 4 keys until the screen goes grey and the swirly thing starts or something. I don't fully remember, but I'll dig it up again. That said, I think AM only ships to Mac as a 32bit version (but then again, maybe it's like other mac stuff where it's kinda like both and runs on both 32 and 64bit, but I really don't know)

Thanks for the clarification there Steffen, as a non programmer I have no idea what carbon calls in the middle layer are :blink: but I'll take your word for it that they're important ;)

As some newer Mac's boot in 64bit by default will A:M run OK?

Yes Darkwing mine's a little over a year old I think and can boot in 64bit using the 6&4 keys. Never really noticed much performance difference doing the every day stuff on it so mostly leave it in 32bit mode. I was maybe hoping a 64bit AM would shave even more seconds off render times B)

• Hash Fellow
Thanks for the clarification there Steffen, as a non programmer I have no idea what carbon calls in the middle layer are :blink:

In Middle Layer, the Balrog uses Carbon Calls to tell worker elves what to do. I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

Hmmnnn... wonder if this will become a problem. I'm getting ready to upgrade my machine. One of the reasons why I jumped back on the AM wagon, is because I didn't have to insert the CD, etc. I'm getting really comfortable with this program. Don't want to boot-up this way and boot-up that way.

I hope the AM gods develop a 64 bit app.

Make mine Animation Master!

• 2 weeks later...