Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Demo reel

Xtaz

as you know I'll seek a sponsor for my project "Trem do Pantanal 2020", the first step is to concept a good demo reel to be presented to them... well for this I'll need your inestimable help as always.

Please .. can you guide me ??

I'm thinking in this intro...

does it work ?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

I really like that Marcos! :)

There is something... some small detail that is missing that I can't quite place my finger on.

I've been watching the reel over and over in an attempt to find it.

Perhaps I can walk away and view it at a later time and I'll see what that is.

A few thoughts while I am exploring:

1. Fade (Very Nitpicky!): The fade from decal/drawing to rendering could be a little more subtley faded so as not to pop. By this I mean to say that there is an apparent difference in the height of the drawing versus the final character and this catches the eye. My thought is that perhaps could pop in two frame each of a wireframe and and rig shot instead of a fade. However, I think this might change your intended theme and I'm not sure what that is. (See Number 3 below)

2. Character: I get the feeling this character may not smile a lot BUT it seems to me that you may want to make him smile for the purpose of this demo reel even if out of character. This would accoplish at least two things. 1) It would end the reel on a smile which ties into what you want to accomplish... getting a sponsor inspired (smiling and enjoying your project) enough to support you. When an audience see a character smile they tend to smile. 2) It will provide further progression and a place for the eye to focus while awaiting the presentation of your card. My underlying thought here is to somehow get the viewer to identify or connect with Lau.

3. Theme: It should be clear what this reel is saying to me and yet it isn't quite. While I can assume that you are trying to suggest that you can transform a drawing into a fully articulated character this is not clear to me. Did you do the drawings only and someone else create the model? (I know you did but others will not) This might be resolved simply by adding a few words to tell viewers about it (fading them in/out). This could be during the drawing, at the very end right before or on your card or at the appropriate place (See thoughts from number one)

4. Clarity. There is an old saying "Tell them what you are going to tell them, tell them and then tell them what you told them." (I paraphrase). Adding a hint of this might prove useful in your reel. Similarly you could also just tell folks the facts and what you want. An extreme case of this might be to simply narrate the video (in words or text). "Hi I'm Marcos and this is Lau." "We are seeking sponsors for the environmental short film 'Trem do Pantanal'. 'Contact us!'

5. Extending the card. Most of these random thoughts can be eradicated by some further creativity on your part. For instance, if this is card #1 of 3 or a larger series of cards then I think you'd be rockin'! Things seen in this first card could build upon subsequent cards. Who knows, you and your 'Trem do Pantanal' cards might even get an avid following.

All of this to say what you've got is already great. I challenge you to make it awesome. :)

I like it Marcos, though Rodney makes some good points. It seems to go by pretty fast with not much info as to what you as the artist are communicating.

I think though before I go making suggestions, can I ask what the purpose and intent of Trem do Pantanal is, and what your entry is designed to accomplish?

Hey Xtaz, just viewed the video.

First thing I would do is crop the drawing / painting segment and get rid of the Photoshop? menus and border. Those items are not important to the creation of the drawing. It looks like a time lapse recording for a Photoshop tutorial. Let the viewer focus on your drawing of Lau.

I didn't see the dissolve quirk as much as Rodney indicated. Perhaps a tweaking of it with his suggestions.

Overall, it is nice. However, it does lack any motivation for the audience to take action. I like the smile idea. But, yes the overall "message" to the audience will need to be communicated. The video may need to be a bit longer to include more information about what this video is, what project it's a part of, and the grander vision.

I still like Lau :)

Thank you friends ... I don't have time now to comment your comments but I already see that I have a lot of work. As I said, this is just an intro and my thought is to develop a demo reel about 2 minutes with images, animations and your testimony :)... my alleged sponsor wants to know some of my work at first. After I enter the project itself.

Tonight I go deep in your comments...

Thank you again

• Hash Fellow

I like the idea of the 2D to 3D but I think it's too long for an intro. I think that could be telescoped down to four seconds or so and do the job.

The actual animated gesture we could work on to plus that. It's got some hard angles to it.

Pardon my intrusion but may I make a suggestion ?

Instead of using the 2D to 3D as you have it at the moment, could you use your 3D characters in front of the photoshop screen to look as they were preparing the illustration as it was being done. Then at the end, have the 'name tag' show an illustration of the other characters involved, with the web address across the bottom of the screen ?

Does that make sense ?

two pennies worth.

simon