Hash, Inc. Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MMZ_TimeLord

Constraints broken in PRJ but not CHO

All,

Here is a test. I want to make sure others can replicate this before I post a ticket on it.

This problem seems to be in versions 16 and 17, both 32 and 64 bit windows. I tried it in version 14 and it does NOT break the relationship/constraint.

The zip file contains a version of the "copper bolt" for 14, 16 and 17.

Steps to duplicate issue.

1. Create a NEW project.

2. Create a NEW choreography.

3. Open the copper bolt model.

4. Drop one or more copies of the copper bolt model into the choreography. (Either the open choreography view or PWS)

5. Save the choreography as a test with the version number in it. (i.e. - "C_Test_v14.cho")

6. Save the project as a test with the version number in it. (i.e. - "C_Test_v14.prj")

7. Close the project.

8. Create a NEW project.

9. Import the test choreography. Note that the constraints are NOT broken on the bolt in the choreography.

10. Close the project without saving.

11. Open the test project. Note that the constraints ARE broken on the bolt in the choreography.

Rinse and repeat with both V16 and V17 if you have them. This may be an issue with V15, but I don't have that one working any longer.

Version 14.0c does NOT have this issue. The constraints will load properly from the project and the choreography.

Copper_Boltv14.mdl

Copper_Boltv16.mdl

Copper_BoltV17.mdl

Could this possibly be the WAY I've created the 'pose' constraints?

NOTE: Once the constraints are broken, if you save the project with the external choreography, it will STILL be broken when you import the choreography into a new project!!!

SOLVED: Decimal point (period, dot, etc.) in the project name was the cause. Seems like a bug to me. If you can use the character in windows, it should work. But what do I know. :huh:

In only tried it with the v17 model, but i think I followed all your steps and it still worked when i got to step 11.

The two pose sliders seemed to create appropriate movement.

So... what are we doing differently?

robcat,

Here is the difference in the Choreography for me.

The bolts shown are both in the zero percentage on both the pose sliders.

Maybe I need to do a new install? Strange how it does not break in V14. Maybe it's my custom default Choreography. Hmmm...

UPDATE: Nope, I renamed the "Default Chor.cho" file to "Default Chor.cho.old" and started V17. Default choreography is just a camera and light. Still loads back up with the broken bolt result. *sigh*

BoltBroke.png

Tried in v17 and have no issues.

Can you post the corrupted prj file?

mtpeak2,

Here you are. This is the smallest version of a corrupted project that I have. It has a single bolt in the choreography.

This is with NO "Default Chor.cho" file in the directory. The choreography was built by A:M internally.

Hy_Power_V1.00_V17test2.prj

robcat,

Sure enough, it works for you. I'll save off my license file and completely un-install V17 and install it fresh and ONLY copy in my license file and try it again.

Must be something on my end here... back with results soon.

It's a mystery to me. I can't imagine what's gong wrong.

Well, I went through and uninstalled ALL A:M versions on my machine. (Yes, I backed up their directories first.)

I then went through the registry and pretty much killed any reference to "hash inc" in there. Only thing I left alone were the file associations.

I then restarted my system and installed ONLY Version 17.0. After the install, I copied my license file only to the V17.0 directory and started A:M.

I then followed my own directions, just as you did. Same result. Constraints on those bolts are still broken the same.

I wonder if it could be the VC++ 10 runtime? Maybe I should uninstall that and make sure to delete any files for it too. THEN reinstall?

*sigh* Can't test it on a virtual machine as my license is tied to this one. :(

UPDATE: Nope... uninstalled ALL versions of VC++ Redistributable (Nearly a dozen in there! two 2005, eight 2008 and two 2010!), then installed V17.0. Same result.

ARG! Kinda funny that V14.0c does not do that for me.

Okay, so, I've come to the conclusion that anything other than an OS re-install is probably not going to solve this. :facepalm:

I think I may just live with it by saving only the Choreography out. OR I'll try a new constraint system on that bolt. Only seems to break that particular model.

Go figure. :blink::huh:

Okay, so, I've come to the conclusion that anything other than an OS re-install is probably not going to solve this.

Reinstalling A:M seemed extreme to me so you can imagine what I think about a complete OS reinstall.

What is that they say about the simplest answer, "The simplest answer is usually the correct one."

Reinstalling your OS is not the simple answer.

Perhaps you just have another Chor Action that is masking this one... something higher in the hierarchy.

Something you didn't share with anyone else.

Something not in your v14 Chor.

This is like the good old days when someone would insist A:M had a problem no one would believe them. :D

Okay, so, I've come to the conclusion that anything other than an OS re-install is probably not going to solve this. :facepalm:

I think I may just live with it by saving only the Choreography out. OR I'll try a new constraint system on that bolt. Only seems to break that particular model.

I too am doubtful that the OS is the problem.

First try deleting the constraint system and doing it over from scratch, that's got to be easier than reinstalling an OS.

Go figure. :blink::huh:

I tried your project in 15j+, and it works, as you say it should. It does NOT work in 16b or 17 for me. (I noticed your project does not have the model embedded, and asked for the ver17 bolt)

However, when I recreate your project from scratch in ver 17 (32bit PC), using your steps, model (ver17) posted in the 1st post of this thread, it works. I think there is something corrupted in your project.

But I must admit, when I looked at your poses/relationships late last night (very tired) in the model, I had a hard time making sense of what you were doing. At first glance, it does not make sense to me that with the poses set to 0%, that the model should come in not looking like it's original modeled state.

Do you have any expressions in the model somewhere? Did you at one time have the pose(s) set to go from -100 to 100 (instead of 0-100), or was it ever an on/off pose?

Did you at anytime have 2 or more instances of the model in your chor, and were editing the relationships/constraints/poses? I've noticed in the past that problems can arise and the constraints will get messed up. I've had it happen multiple times, but I have yet to pin down the sequence of steps to recreate it. I only notice something is wrong way too late (after I reopen the model in a new session of A:M)

Did you have the model embedded in your project at anytime?

Edited by NancyGormezano

Everyone,

Yes, I had the model embedded when I was originally working on it.

No, I'm not a master at poses or constraints. I probably messed something up in the process of creating the pose.

Nancy, I will try as you suggest and put the bolt into a blank project and copy the mesh and groups to a NEW model. Then I will try and create the bones and poses again, from scratch.

Thanks everyone. I have installed all my old versions and restored the directories. I am still unsure why it happens to me and not anyone else. I am following the exact steps I posted to put that one model in a new project and choreography.

Off, to remake the model.... wheee! :yay::clap::facepalm:

This time don't embed model when you recreate it. Make sure you save it first before you save any new chor, or new project.

I believe I have run into problems when working with embedded models. Models can get embedded in chors as well as projects. Perhaps that might have been the source of problem?

This time don't embed model when you recreate it. Make sure you save it first before you save any new chor, or new project.

I believe I have run into problems when working with embedded models. Models can get embedded in chors as well as projects. Perhaps that might have been the source of problem?

Nancy,

That still doesn't quite explain why a saved model, placed in a new project and new choreography. Each saved separately, would still cause the problem on my machine and not other people's machines.

Still, I have recreated the bolt. At no time did I have it in a choreography or embedded while creating the pose (went for single this time). The constraints in that pose work fine when dropped into an action or new choreography. BUT, when I save that project and reload it. Whether the choreography is embedded or not, the orient like constraints break in the choreography.

Here is the new bolt. Single pose, that goes from zero to 16%. I wish I could change the percentage moniker to something else like the inches symbol. So, it goes in steps. 1/2", 3/4", 1", 1.5", 2", 2.5"... up to 6". At 6.5" the thread length changes to a full inch, then the length continues to step in 1/2" increments to 8" (scale is 10:1).

I still don't understand why it is breaking. Should I be making the constraints a separate on/off control? I just don't get it. :blink:

Copper_BoltV17Rev2.mdl

Following the steps... the "Robcat Method"®

20120818_1319_31.mp4

That still doesn't quite explain why a saved model, placed in a new project and new choreography. Each saved separately, would still cause the problem on my machine and not other people's machines.

I agree I don't understand. Nada.

However perhaps you have a model on your harddrive that your project is referencing that is different from the one you uploaded to the forum?

When I search for bolt using text editor in your project - the 1st model name comes up as:

LinkedModel=Copper BoltV17.mdl

but in my project using the same name as what you provided I see:

LinkedModel=Copper_BoltV17.mdl (Note this name has an underscore, and your project doesn't)

That is probably why when I open your project, I immediately got a request to search for the model. I thought it odd at first because it went straight to the directory where I had saved your model. The name looked the same (I didn't notice if it was looking for an underscore or not.

Move that model (without underscore) somewhere else and then try the same steps with the model that you uploaded to forum?

I will poke around some more.

Edited by NancyGormezano

After more poking: When I search for bolt in my project file I find these instances:

LinkedModel=Copper_BoltV17.mdl

Name="Copper_BoltV17.mdl"

ModelName=Copper_BoltV171

When I search for bolt in your project file, I find:

LinkedModel=Copper BoltV17.mdl

Cache=..|..|..|Objects|"Copper BoltV17.mdl"

ModelName=Copper BoltV171

That cache thingy reference is mighty suspicioso.

EDIT: also I did not embed my chor in the proj, nor the model.

here is zip of my prj, chor, model files that I am using - put all in a new folder.

Copper_BoltV17.zip

Edited by NancyGormezano

The underscore thing might be it.

We had a problem with a filename with a period in it previously.

Nancy,

Your project and model load fine into A:M V17.0 here. Guess what. The replacement of that space in the model name is not the cure.

It has to do with the dot in the project name!!!

My original project was named "Hy-Power_V1.00_V17.prj" Notice the extra dot in the project version number?

My test project was named "Hy-Power_V1.00_V17Test2.prj"... again with the dot in the name.

Lastly, I saved the new project as "projecttes3.prj" ... loaded with constraints working fine!

Saved it as "project.test3.prj" and reloaded it. Again with the broken constraints.

A:M does NOT like extra dots (periods, decimal points, etc.) in the project name! Maybe any file name. I haven't tested that far.

SOLVED! (Still seems like a bug to me.)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this