Hash, Inc. Forums

Updating from v16b to v17

tbenefi33

to be honest:

wait a while before upgrading. we just switched to 17 and experienced A LOT of weird bugs, that being on a schedule of production. really uncomfortable. 16 really was reliable, 17 is not yet.

• Hash Fellow
to be honest:

wait a while before upgrading. we just switched to 17 and experienced A LOT of weird bugs, that being on a schedule of production. really uncomfortable. 16 really was reliable, 17 is not yet.

AMReport them!

• Hash Fellow
Actually, I don't know where to start, and I don't have the time right now, as deadline's tommorrow... sh*t

OK... the day after tomorrow... start a thread and describe them and we'll investigate. ;)

I've downloaded v17 but I'm not using it yet as I don't want to switch versions in the middle of a huge project. Sorry to hear Elm's experience, but that's the sort of thing I want to avoid.

Exactly. Do not make the same mistake. It's still behaving very very oddly. (Thing is - once you've "touched" things in 17, they keep behaving oddly back in 16 :( )

• Admin
I've downloaded v17 but I'm not using it yet as I don't want to switch versions in the middle of a huge project. Sorry to hear Elm's experience, but that's the sort of thing I want to avoid.

While it won't be of comfort to Elm it's certainly a learning opportunity.

Gerry hits on an important distinction in the fact that he has upgraded but has not updated his entire production pipeline as of yet.

In the abstract I'd say in a production environment a good update path should run initially at 20/80 (Preproduction), 50/50 at apogee (at the final point before fully committing to Production) and 80/20 at full production and thereafter (there is no looking back at this point barring the very odd exception in Post Production). Difficult shots that rely on new and unproven features get tested early and are scheduled for completion early in the process. You'll note that if this path is followed that toward the end of one production there is a comfortable overlap that will allow the next production to begin within the framework of the next iteration of updates.

Note that the update path can and generally should be different than the upgrade path which for most organizations to maximize their return on investment must continuously replace 10-20 percent of their software and equipment. This is that 20 percent seen at the beginning of a production cycle and if this upgrade path is followed the primary variable to focus on then becomes how long a particular budget/production cycle is as dictated by the schedule and funding it receives.

It is important not to wait to upgrade because we never want to find ourselves focused on internal issues when the more weighty external forces are at play. Upgrades become the constant while updating remains a variable. Updating will always vary upon the just-in-time needs of the organization while upgrades tend to be refreshed more slowly, cautiously and deliberately.

I note that Google is trying to tackle some of these pesky issues in the form of their 'Chrome Canary' release. Through use of the canary, power users can live on the cutting edge if they are willing to accept additional risk. This shortening of the update cycle ultimately increases stability for all users and ushers in more and improved features as the feed back from the canary is recognized and incorporated into the next stable release. This is similar to the upgrade path outlined above that places 10-20 percent of an organization's computers into the higher risk category.

When you have only one computer the game certainly changes and it's good to know that we can run multiple versions of A:M simultaneously. Generally, we should not rely on only one computer.

It's got to be tough being a studio.

I have not had my own copy of A:M since they were on CD (because I objected to the licence/ subscription scheme) but after trying the demo for v17 I may go ahead and subscribe.

By the way: Thank you Hash Inc. for offering trial subscriptions for version 17.

But if I were to run into problems in 17 that I did not in prior versions am I free to download one of the previous versions (ie: 16b) as long as my licence is current?

• Admin
But if I were to run into problems in 17 that I did not in prior versions am I free to download one of the previous versions (ie: 16b) as long as my licence is current?

You should be able to install and run any subscription version of A:M.

That should be circa v13 and up.

Some folks initially object to the subscription (especially older users because change can be difficult) but once they've subscribed they just get on with using A:M.

It is entirely understandable (logical even) that those who are the most unhappy with the subscription will be those who have never subscribed to A:M.

• Hash Fellow

Elms profile says he's on windows.

17 is working great for me too, most of what i write up for AMReports now is obscure stuff, but I shall be eager to see more about the problems they are having with it.

• Admin

I suspect that one of Elm's issue might be with the AO Plugin which is reported to have issues in v16/v17. It's a compiling issue that despite the issues is workable if the right plugin is matched with the correct version of A:M. If so perhaps he didn't get a chance to read that info.

This assuming he uses that plugin at all and not his own custom methods which we've seen him sharing with us elsewhere.

It doesn't do much good to speculate so we'll have to wait until Elm has the time to clue us in.

I have not found any troubles with 17 but then again I am not digging very deeply of late as have been trying to get better modeling----but so far for me on windows both 16 and 17 are solid.

A:M v17 had quite massive Alpha and Beta-tests so it should not be too buggy, anyway it is not impossible that there are areas which are buggy. Especially Soulcage is digging deep into A:M and may have found areas which can still have ttroubles.

Maybe a fresh reinstall after the deadline can solve a few of them, if you didnt do that already...

See you

*Fuchur*