Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

A:M User Groups

Rodney

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

I am all about getting a Users Group going in Illinois!

I hope you are serious about it too.

Spread the word! :)

Edit: It'll help to know where in Illinois you are located.

It may make more sense to consider sub-groups (Chapters?) of Users Groups at more specific locations.

For instance, a Chicago Users Group might be affiliated with or an extension of Midwest and Illinois Users Groups.

Similarly, there may be locations that don't exactly equate to Illinois but still work for you.

For instance, St. Louis is very near to the area I am relocating to so that would cover or at least interface with much of Missouri.

We don't want to miss out on getting together with folks that live nearby just because they aren't in Illinois.

This is true also for neighboring states and folks that are just visiting or passing through.

Perhaps we need to start with a global Users Group and work from there. ;)

Hmmm... it may be time for a Users Group Survey or a relook at Matt's Frapper that helps in finding everyone's location.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Admin

I'm going to try to meet with Den Dotson one of these days. He hasn't been actively pursuing 3D of late... he's been preoccupied with getting his Masters degree! He's in the local area and I hope to meet up with him soon.

If you read this Den... Salute! :)

• Admin

There are a whole lot of things folks can do in person. (Because we sit behind a computer we may not do that as often as we should)

My own thought about User Groups is that its a place to specialize or focus on things at a higher level than can be accomplished online over a broader spectrum of time.

It's amazing what can be learned just by looking over the shoulder of someone.

It's a place to share exclusive things that one cannot generally share online.

It's a place to share with a small group what cannot be shared with larger groups online (Here I'm thinking fair use copyrighted works)

It's a place where people can review and critique and provide feedback in person prior to a release out into the wild.

It's a place to view early drafts of tutorials and projects before they are perfected and other exclusive stuff that can't be released to the public.

The lists goes on and on...

But mostly its a place to meet people of the same interests and to share and broaden experiences that cannot be accomplished online.

• Admin
i'd be interested in a UK group although i think we are possibly a bit too georaphically diverse for that ?

The greatest successes often seem insignificant at the beginning and usually start small.

I have high hopes for User Groups but logistics (distance and scheduling especially) is a problem.

My 'core' thought, if I can even call it that, would be to set up a virtual User Group that caters to the primary members/leaders of the global User Groups. But there are some potential problems with this sort of scheme that we'd want to avoid. We want to be inclusive and not exclusive. We want to include all A:M Users not segregate them in private affairs and cliques. Having said that I think the cliques form themselves based on interest so there is that.

Some User Groups may be based on location but surely not all...

For instance, why could there not be a v13 User Group*? The core interest for them would be to maximize usage of v13 to the benefit of all.

(Yes, there would always be a little pressure to upgrade/subscribe and support the current release of A:M from any officially sanctioned User Group but that's a given... upgrade when you can... until you can, use what you've already bought.)

There is not much of a difference between a User Group and a Community Project.

Each has a reason for existing be that having fun, working hard, maximizing usage and/or sharing knowledge.

Ultimately it's up to each User Group (independently) to decide what to focus on.

Can you have a User Group of one? No. Not really.

But if that User Group is virtually connected to the Leaders of other User Groups and maintains a local chapter that won't be a problem.

When the word gets out, people will find them.

And whenever and wherever interests diverge new leaders arise to charter new hubs.

*This may seem to be a bad example but I want to illustrate the full potential that A:M User Groups have. An A:M user subscribing to v17 can also use v13 without any problem.

• Admin
I would love to lead a chapter in my area! Maybe I could send out a massive email to the forum mailing list!

Membership has it's privileges so I don't see why not. (Of course you have to make the mailer pretty... pretty awesome that is!)

It should be fairly easy to even target folks in your local neighborhood.

(is anything ever really that easy though?)

What do you want to call your group in the interim? (You can change it any time you want to)

• Admin

I mentioned it above but one thing I recall some of the more successful User Groups doing was setting a focus (an agenda) for each meeting. This is a bit different from the forum where every topic is 'always on'. User Groups can better serve A:M Users in this regard.

For instance, a User Group might set up an adgenda for the next meeting to explore the ins and outs of Netrender.

Back in the glory days of User Groups this would be less likely to happened because everyone didn't have access to Netrender.

Now that's not the case at all.

User Groups are especially good at things like this... letting people know might be missed in the flood of information on the forum, picking out what is the most important to their groups membership (because they know them better) and informing them of what is going on.

In an ideal setting User Groups would get a heads up in advance of official releases and schedule events around them.

I think the general idea of user group meetups would be extremely helpful for many folks ....especially a group that could have a couple of more experienced folks show up. That would help draw more people knowing certain folks might be there . And these groups could really bolster some learning -------which in turn would bolster skills and which in turn would bolster example works which ultimately helps bolsters sales.........which helps bolster development. A win for everyone.

Although. Its hard to organize these things not knowing how many folks in such and such city are using AM and would like to show up etc--- but I think the idea of starting really small.....and growing it up makes sense and maybe some of these really small startups will grow up to a full scale user groups given some time.