Hash, Inc. Forums

RE: Dongles and Such...

...Still don't know if there's ONLY the subscription version out there, or if there's also non expiring version by now...

Hi Elm,

As far as I understand it (please correct my if I am wrong Jason) there are two version available:

- A:M Subscription for 1 year ($79.99)

- Never expiring version ($299.00)

Both are download-products today. (only manual + ExtraDVD can be selected to be shipped with the never expiring version).

Both are software-dongled to one computer per license.

> Infos on hash.com: A:M Versions

See you

*Fuchur*

It isn't a dongle.

Don't misled. The hash.com software details page should also be corrected.

"A software protection dongle is a small piece of hardware that plugs into an electrical connector on a computer and serves as an electronic "key" for a piece of software; the program will run only when the dongle is plugged in."

To my knowledge Hash still uses Reprise License Manager. Although I've read of configurations of RLM that support using usb memory sticks as dongles Animation Master doesn't utilize that. The license is tied to the computer itself so it isn't transportable.

This incorrect usage of the word dongle isn't up for debate. It is simply incorrect, either by ignorance or willful deception. The unwillingness to be forthright about the limitation is disgusting.

And for the love of whatever don't effing respond to this trying to espouse the virtues of the current license or rehashing how the previous is gone and just accept the current we've been through that d4mn dance already.

• Hash Fellow
The license is tied to the computer itself so it isn't transportable.

That is correct. The license is not transportable.

This incorrect usage of the word dongle isn't up for debate. It is simply incorrect, either by ignorance or willful deception.

Fuchur isn't an employee of Hash, he's just misinformed.

I'm not an employee of Hash either, but if you could link me the page that says "hardware dongle" or implies it ( I couldn't find one) I'll encourage them to fix it.

The license is tied to the computer itself so it isn't transportable.

That is correct. The license is not transportable.

This incorrect usage of the word dongle isn't up for debate. It is simply incorrect, either by ignorance or willful deception.

Fuchur isn't an employee of Hash, he's just misinformed.

I'm not an employee of Hash either, but if you could link me the page that says "hardware dongle" or implies it ( I couldn't find one) I'll encourage them to fix it.

interesting... just had a look at wikipedia in english and it seems that u are right. software dongle means a hardware piece by their definition.

I often have read the same term to describe a softwarebased copyprotection which is based on a key and / or a string generated by using hardware informations of the computer (mac adress, mainboard identifier, etc.) and using a software to encrypt and see if it is the right one for your computer.. for me the term "hardware dongle" describes for instance an usb stick (=hardware) which is plugged to the computer. in the definition of the english wiki i cant see what a "hardware dongle" is so... an usb stick which needs to be plugged in to run a videocard? anyway what would be the correct term for describing this methode? I am very sorry that my misunderstanding of this terms is causing problems and I will change it as fast as i can if you tell me what would be the right wording. Is it "software keyed" or "software protected" or something like that? For me software defines the method which is used to key / protect something, not the thing that should be protect in this definitions. But if that is just wrong, please let me know.

see you

*Fuchur*

PS: very confusing... if I say something is red-sided I dont mean that red is "sided" or something like that but that the thing (for instance a cube) this is refering to has a red side. Or am I wrong?

So for me, software dongles means, that something is "dongled" / "keyed" with a software (protection...) Sorry again if this has confused people... as soon as a I have a better solution, I'll change that on the website. I never intended to confuse or imply something different than A:M has to offer.

• Admin

Sum Squared,

I get that Fuchur is trying to imply 'tied' or 'tethered' but I can see where the use of the term dongle will be confusing.

Accuracy is important.

Rather than just say it's wrong though and especially to help Fuchur in the effort to use more correct wording, it'd be nice to know what you'd prefer to have it say rather than 'software-dongled'.

Any suggestions?

(I have a few suggestions but I'm not bothered by the terminology currently used).

Sum Squared,

I get that Fuchur is trying to imply 'tied' or 'tethered' but I can see where the use of the term dongle will be confusing.

Accuracy is important.

Rather than just say it's wrong though and especially to help Fuchur in the effort to use more correct wording, it'd be nice to know what you'd prefer to have it say rather than 'software-dongled'.

Any suggestions?

(I have a few suggestions but I'm not bothered by the terminology currently used).

Okay I changed it to "bound to one computer" instead of "software-dongled to one computer".

See you

*Fuchur*

Edited by Rodney
Mod Note: This topic has been split from the previous as it isn't directly related to the original topic.