Hash, Inc. Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MMZ_TimeLord

Grouping of objects in CHOR not working as expected.

So I ran into this issue before and didn't think about it because it was a small project. The current one I am working on has LOTS of small models in the choreography and this really messed me up this time.

Does anyone else concur that this is a true issue? Seems it should work very similarly to the modeling window where you group and move 'groups' in the model around, scale them or rotate them.

Take a gander and see if I am wrong about this.

My ticket here

Summary 0006205: Grouping of objects in choreography does not work as expected.

Description When you Shift-select or Ctrl-select named groups within a model window and translate them, they translate as a group. This applies to scale and rotate manipulations.

When you Shift-select or Ctrl-select groups of models in a Choreography window they do NOT translate as a group but only the last one selected will translate. If you Drag-select the group in the Choreography window you can plug in a translate, scale or rotate offset value, but it will only affect frame zero, NOT the frame you are on. This applies to using the translate, scale and rotate manipulator tools as well.

Additional Information When you drag-select a group of models in the Choreography the Timeline does not show the basic keys for these models (translate, scale and rotate). IT does show them when you Shift-select or Ctrl-select the models in the Project Workspace or Choreography window.

When you Shift-select or Ctrl-select groups of models in a Choreography window they do NOT translate as a group but only the last one selected will translate.

I was able to translate several SHIFT-selected objects together.

Additional Information When you drag-select a group of models in the Choreography the Timeline does not show the basic keys for these models (translate, scale and rotate). IT does show them when you Shift-select or Ctrl-select the models in the Project Workspace or Choreography window.

I couldn't get any translation, scale or rotation from a drag-selected group. It did appear to be dong something weird to the pivot point indicator

Okay, I tried again. With the translate tool selected, YES, I can translate a SHIFT-Selected group. BUT, it does not reflect a group in the PWS. It shows the last item selected and gives no hint you will be making an offset change. It makes it seem like you would be making an absolute change to the last item selected.

Maybe this is the way the bug should be reported. I would like to refine it and make sure Hash is getting the proper information.

I do have an issue with a Drag-Selected group looking like it will work but only affecting frame zero and not the frame you are on.

i.e. - Drag select three models and you get a 'untitled group' selection in the PWS. I expect this. And it looks like you will be making 'offset' changes. I expect this.

I expect that kind of behavior when I Shift-Select or Ctrl-Select a group too.

What I don't expect is that a Drag-Select makes a change ONLY to frame zero and will not create a new keyframe of the change for the frame you are on.

Maybe this is two separate bugs?

in V17 I can't move anything in a drag-selected group inthe Chor.

Okay, I tried again. With the translate tool selected, YES, I can translate a SHIFT-Selected group. BUT, it does not reflect a group in the PWS. It shows the last item selected and gives no hint you will be making an offset change.

I'm not sure if you'd want a group formed from shift-selecting things in the chor. I'm just not sure.

But I can recall which items I shift selected so it's not a surprise when they move together and they all get their own keys for the movement.

in V17 I can't move anything in a drag-selected group inthe Chor.

Okay, I tried again. With the translate tool selected, YES, I can translate a SHIFT-Selected group. BUT, it does not reflect a group in the PWS. It shows the last item selected and gives no hint you will be making an offset change.

I'm not sure if you'd want a group formed from shift-selecting things in the chor. I'm just not sure.

But I can recall which items I shift selected so it's not a surprise when they move together and they all get their own keys for the movement.

For me it is working with drag selection. (Just tried it with 3 spheres and a selection-box around them. I can save the group, reselect it and I get all the translate / rotate / scale-manipulators as it should be.

However the issue, that it does all that only for the first frame (even with Animate on) is the same for me too.

See you

*Fuchur*

To address immediate problem: If you need a subset of models/objects to be manipulated en masse, and have keyframes set on something other than frame 0 - create a folder in your chor, drag those models in the chor to the folder in the chor, right click on the folder/select children - then translate, etc those children of the folder on whatever frame you want. You can also set visibility, and other properties for all the children in the folder in the same way, by just setting the property in one of the selected children. Seems pretty handy dandy to me.

Groups however, do seem to be created when one imports a chor into another chor, and from drag selecting. And do not seem to have keyframes (other than frame 0).

I can drag select (tried in top view) and was able to move a group, but no keyframes were set.

I can move a folder of models and keyframes for each model in folder that was selected will be set.

Perhaps Groups are better used for things such as sets - that don't necessarily get animated, whereas folders are better suited for those items that would get animated together