Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

object instancing

ludo_si

Hoe can i duplicate an object as tiles of a roof, I tested swarm, but that does not function well.

I would like to make a very detailed roof with tiles but it is necessary to reproduce hundreds from one of them.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoe can i duplicate an object as tiles of a roof, I tested swarm, but that does not function well.

I would like to make a very detailed roof with tiles but it is necessary to reproduce hundreds from one of them.

There are several plugins for that. Two can be used in the modellingwindow and two in the chor:

a.) "Multiple copies / Multiple import" > Chor

b.) "Duplicator" > Modelling window

c.) "Simple Scatter" > Chor

d.) "Sweeper" > Modelling window

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Advantages and disadvantages:

for a.):

Pro: This can be used with a much heavier patch-count, since the chor can handle many many times more patches than a single model without massive slowdown.

Con: It is often harder to manipulate the position of many 100 models etc. afterwards in the chor. For me the modelling window is easier in this direction.

for b.):

Pro: Everything in one model, so you can use it as you are very likely more used too.

Con: At some time you will hit the patch-limit for one modellingwindow (depending on your hardware and the software itself, will hit in at about 20-30k per model).

for c.):

Pro: Same as a.) BUT with a more random approach.

Con: Same as a.).

for d.):

Pro: see b.) + mode controlable approach because you can for instance use an spline to place the copies on automatically.

Con: At some time you will hit the patch-limit for one modellingwindow (depending on your hardware and the software itself, will hit in at about 20-30k per model).

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Basicly both are used more or less them same.

How to use them:

for a.):

1.) Create the model you want to be repeated.

2.) Drag and Drop it into a chor.

3.) RightClick on the model and choose "Plugins > Wizards > Multiple copies".

4.) Set in how many instances you want to create and how far the instances will be place away from eachother.

> Good for very repeative structures (like for instance a roof)

for b.):

1.) Create the model you want to duplicate.

2.) Stay in the modelling-window, select the CPs of the model to be duplicated.

3.) RightClick on the selected group of CPs and choose "Plugins > Wizards > Duplicator".

4.) Set in how many instances you want to create and how far the instances will be place away from eachother.

> Good for very repeative structures (like for instance a roof)

for c.):

1.) Create the model you want to duplicate.

2.) Drag and Drop it into a chor.

3.) RightClick on the model and choose "Plugins > Wizards > Simple Scatter".

4.) You will be asked for a model you want to place the copies on. For instance you can choose the ground here or any other model.

A:M will place the newly created instances on the surface of the model (quite randomly)

> Good for creating for instance a wood of trees.

for d.):

1.) Create the model you want to duplicate and create a group containing the structur you want to duplicate.

2.) Create another spline which will be used as a path in your modellingwindow. Make a group with only this path in it. (this will be used to define where the duplicated group will be place at.)

3.) RightClick on the model and choose "Plugins > Wizards > Sweeper".

4.) At operation select "Duplicate".

5.) Select the group you want to be duplicated.

6.) Tell it whether you want to use a specific distance to create your duplications (Final + degrees) or if you want it to create a model at every CP you have placed in your path-group (Each step).

You can tell it to use regular steps to create a specific amount of models here too.

Hope this gives a good overview and that it helps!

See you

*Fuchur*

> Good for creating for instance a wood of trees.