Hash, Inc. Forums

2008 rig

Following last weeks adventures with water, I'm trying to do a little short using the 2008 rig.

There are so many controls in the rig that I'm finding it a bit confusing so, two general questions really.

Is there a guide available to what the controls do and how to use them ?

and

Would it make sense to incorporate those controls into a pose slider . So that, for example, the right index finger curl was done with a pose slider rather than using the two null's ?

As a supplementary question to that last one, if the poses were set up on the rig, could they then be exported to another model using the same rig ?

Has anyone else addressed this difficulty ?

Regards

simon

• Hash Fellow
Would it make sense to incorporate those controls into a pose slider . So that, for example, the right index finger curl was done with a pose slider rather than using the two null's ?

My own preference is not to do that, since that locks you into a particular arrangement of motion for the whole finger.

I do like to make draggable poses for whole hand poses that I need frequently (for example: default open, relaxed fingers, vulcan salute, index finger point, hyper extended fingers, peace sign...). Dragging the pose onto the character quickly keys all the necessary bones and if I need something slightly different it's easy to adjust the few bones that need to be different.

Video in this post

I don't recall anyone having difficulty with the hand/finger controls of the 2008 rig.

The 2008 rig has multiple ways to control the fingers, main finger control (controls all the fingers), individual finger controls, the null controls (nulls can translate and rotate on the Z axis) and you can switch to FK fingers to manually animate the fingers.

Having built in poses for the fingers wouldn't work too well from model to model. Everytime I installed the 2001 rig, I had to modify the hand clench poses. But, there's no reason why you couldn't create your own poses, if you want them.

If you want a rig with alot of finger curl poses, maybe you should try the squetch rig, it has alot of them.

I don't recall anyone having difficulty with the hand/finger controls of the 2008 rig.

It's a great rig...I haven't heard of any problems with the hand/finger controls in the 2008 Rig either.

If you want a rig with alot of finger curl poses, maybe you should try the squetch rig, it has alot of them.

Yessir. If I'm remembering correctly (it's been a while since I decided to do that), the finger curl Poses were a way to minimize having the fingers over-rotate when using several different methods of positioning them (there are four ways to position them that I can remember, three that would be affected)....at least I think that's why, I would have to refresh my memory. I'm digging into the rig this week anyway and there's an addition to the fingers that I've been considering, so I'll be in the neighborhood.

Simon, can you tell more about the trouble you are having?

Its just a question of comprehension on my part really. Or lack of it !

It is a very comprehensive rig, with a lot of controls. There are no guidelines that I have seen to what the various controls do so I was having trouble getting to grip with what how I did affected the model on screen. I watched your video ( for which thank you ) about draggable poses and realised that the separately coloured axis's affected the geometry in different ways. So went back to the piece I was working on afresh.

I think I'm trying to work and learn at the same time and the learning requires more application and understanding at the moment.

Simon