Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Heat distortion effect

Kamikaze

Not sure what else to call it ....... I would like to have an effect for the exhaust section on my jet engine to have that heat wave like effect, not really smoke or very little smoke and maybe it would extend out 10 feet or so from the exhaust , maybe a translucent sprite effect with a fast end life or a material effect? never was good at understanding animated materials. ... or some other method? I always have h hard time getting the look I want with sprites, due to my limitation not the sprite sys.

I will go abouts working on ideas..if you have any! ..... sound like a job for "TinkeringGnome" hope I spelled that correctly....John

Mike C

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

One way of doing wavy distortion is to model a transparent distortion glass. Wavy transparent object with refraction and no color.

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?s=&am...post&p=9311

But you need to restrict its effect to the plume of the jet exhaust... hmmm....

That one link to that wavy effect was close ..... yea I did a search didn't find much but gave me some things to try ...... when I recall how the exhaust of a c 130 use to look like in my old Airforce days it is almost like the payvemnt type heat wave and some very soft smoke ....that is if the T56 engine was in top notch running condition........ fun thing to experiment with...

• Admin

Perhaps the word you are looking for is 'mirage'?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirage"

According to this article the effect seen on hot asphalt or via jet engines is called a Heat Haze.

Added: I can think of one way to attempt the effect in A:M that would involve creating a mask (or garbage matte). The mask would then drive displacement of the area where the effect is desired on the image orr sequence. I suppose a separate matte might add a little mirroring or reflection.

Here's a video tutorial that might be adapted to the cause. I think the hardest part would be to isolate the area you want effected. In thinking of some of the old Bill Young material tutorials I think we'd be able to create a material that masks the top and bottom of an area (with black via gradient) and then some fractal type noise in the middle. I supose a spherical material could be created to an circular zone in which everything was effected.

http://www.projuice.org/tutorials/visuals/heat-haze/

All I'm using here is sprite smoke ... with the opacity set really low...and rate of emission pretty high .. I have two separate particle/sprite emitters, could not duplicate and see any noticeable change even with diff settings and diff sprite image.....I would crash to DT a lot if I attempted to adj. settings while the particle drawing button was on....

I made a pose slide that goes from the color black to red with hi amb. and glow on , looks a little to red in the vid. and I made some turbine blades that spin, ....not realistic but fun looking...

I don't want the puffy look that Im getting still very hard to see the smoke anyway, but it's almost close enough for government work......just joking .....

Mike

C_130_m.mp4

• Hash Fellow

I just see the barest hint of smoke there. This doesn't look like a jet engine. But you do want a heat effect?

I just tried a distortion glass with a material effector added to make only part of it use refraction but i just found that material effects dont' work in final render, so that will become an AMReport

I want a heat effect ..... and sense Ive seen what it looks like in person and I dont see how I can achieve the effect, its going so fast out the tailpipe and distorts to differing degrees as it goes out ... not sure how one can get that ...... I think I want more than what is necessary////

• Hash Fellow

I screen captured some frames from progressive render. There would still be tweaking to do but this is the essential concept.

HeatWave.mov

The more typical CG solution is to render a pass that just has suitable gray scale particles being emitted from the jet and use that in a compositing program to drive a blur or distortion filter over the regular render.