Hash, Inc. Forums

AM in China

jebeck

• Admin

Hi Chris,

I'm not sure what type of job you are seeking but often companies will hire based on what they see in your demo reel or portfolio. Most companies will see the quality of your work and help you transition to 'their' software. For example, PIXAR uses their own proprietary software which no one has access to. They recently developed new software they call Presto for their latest film 'Brave' and they aren't sharing it with anyone outside their hallowed halls.

The good news is that a skilled animator can translate the principles of animation to any animation platform.

Getting a job therefore mostly requires persistence and (especially in a field with skilled competition) a lot of hard work.

Basically, it is a lot like getting any other job in this world.

So without knowing more of your specific goals or seeing your work I can only answer the question in this way:

Target the job you want.

Develop your demo reel and portfolio to hit that target.

Doggedly (consistently) pursue that goal.

Get the job you want and continually set new goals.

Glad to see Chinese representation here in the A:M Forum! :)

Hi Chris,

I'm not sure what type of job you are seeking but often companies will hire based on what they see in your demo reel or portfolio. Most companies will see the quality of your work and help you transition to 'their' software. For example, PIXAR uses their own proprietary software which no one has access to. They recently developed new software they call Presto for their latest film 'Brave' and they aren't sharing it with anyone outside their hallowed halls.

The good news is that a skilled animator can translate the principles of animation to any animation platform.

Getting a job therefore mostly requires persistence and (especially in a field with skilled competition) a lot of hard work.

Basically, it is a lot like getting any other job in this world.

So without knowing more of your specific goals or seeing your work I can only answer the question in this way:

Target the job you want.

Develop your demo reel and portfolio to hit that target.

Doggedly (consistently) pursue that goal.

Get the job you want and continually set new goals.

Glad to see Chinese representation here in the A:M Forum! :)

Thank you very much Rodney!

Know I have a Small studio in Dalian of China,and it only have 3 people.We are still studying about it.We have some demo made of AM.Eventhough the demo is not very well,but there is few people could make a good demo by only himself in China...My uncle and my father are animation maker too,so I will go on doing for animation.

AM is not popular in China,Of course AM is very good,but Chinese people don't know AM,they only study Maya and 3Ds from University.No company use AM to make anmation.

I am not the first Chinese representation in the AM Forum:> The first one is my personal teacher,he just like my father! He teach me AM at first,then we study AM together.

I will make some demo to show you~if I could Upload them.

My English is not very well~~:>

Welcome to the A:M forum!

Animation is a tough business no matter what program you use, but if you have questions about A:M we'll certainly try to answer them. :)

Thanks a lot!

I will keep doing it with your help,no matter how hard it is.Everyone here will be my teacher and best friend!

• Hash Fellow

A:M is intended as a beginning-to-end animation workflow. Model>Rig>Animate>Render.

If your client wants finished animation from you, A:M works great.

If your client has some model that they got from some polygon program and want you to animate it for them... then it gets tougher. A:M works best with models made with A:M.

Welcome jebeck!

The prospect of A:M catching on in China is very promising... are you able to understand the interface well? Your English is coming thru well enough that we can understand you, good job. It would be great to see some of your work.

You can be the FIRST Chinese animation studio using A:M--then everyone will come to you! Anything that I can do to help, just ask!

Thank you Zandoriastudios!

I have some friends working about C++,we want to study Motion Capture in AM.

Particle is my next intent,how to use it to make Effects? :)

A:M is intended as a beginning-to-end animation workflow. Model>Rig>Animate>Render.

If your client wants finished animation from you, A:M works great.

If your client has some model that they got from some polygon program and want you to animate it for them... then it gets tougher. A:M works best with models made with A:M.

I agree with you that A:M works best with models made with A:M.

I offen get some models made of 3Ds ,Maya or sketchup,then Converted them to .obj,and import to AM .But most of them only be the Background in the demo,------ house,tress,such like some things never moving.

:lol:

Welcome jebeck!

The prospect of A:M catching on in China is very promising... are you able to understand the interface well? Your English is coming thru well enough that we can understand you, good job. It would be great to see some of your work.

I can understand most of the interface,AM manipulate better and easyer then other software I had played before.

But some terminology I couldn't understand clear.

I am rendering a demo,then I will upload it~It's not Completed yet,but you could give me some suggestion,Thank you~ :rolleyes:

For a beginner these are already very well done :) Keep up learning and you will become a real master ;)

See you

*Fuchur*

• Admin

I'm going to have to go back and view that first one again.. my computer keeps buffering and won't let me view it all.

(Time to clean up my harddrive as it appear to be full!)

I really like the second animation... the one with the Robot. Very nice!

I would make that one #1 on your demo reel.

Or reserve it for last and change the 'Animation for show' title to your name and contact info.

In that way you'd end your demo on a very high note.

I think I like this one mostly because it tells a story very directly and to the point.

There are moments when we get to see this robot thinking, reacting to his environment, adapting even, and his decisions drive the story forward.

It has a clear ending... a punch-line... very satisfying.

Nice work! :)

Hi Chris,

Very nice work indeed!

Is this shown on a kind of Chinese "you tube" or "Vimeo"?

the first demo is for a smartphone game?

I would try that direction jobwise creating smartphone game apps.

I don't know, if you can sell from china to the android and apple app market though?

I have been to China many times as a designer for decorational items (christmas,easter, etc.)

Mostly to Xiamen and nearby.

Very nice and enthusiastic and dedicated people over there developing their country at a fast pace.

I wish you all the best of luck for you and your company

;-) Jake

I'm going to have to go back and view that first one again.. my computer keeps buffering and won't let me view it all.

(Time to clean up my harddrive as it appear to be full!)

I really like the second animation... the one with the Robot. Very nice!

I would make that one #1 on your demo reel.

Or reserve it for last and change the 'Animation for show' title to your name and contact info.

In that way you'd end your demo on a very high note.

I think I like this one mostly because it tells a story very directly and to the point.

There are moments when we get to see this robot thinking, reacting to his environment, adapting even, and his decisions drive the story forward.

It has a clear ending... a punch-line... very satisfying.

Nice work! :)

At the beginning,I couldn't Control the animation well,so we make the first one,it's Simple~The Chinese words at last are my Studio's name~

With more studying and more Experiment,I begin to think about making the second one~

I will let the Style of the second one go on~I like the second one mostly too~ :D Thanks for your commendation~

The second one comes from the first one~

I'm not sure if I should use the words "Animation for show",could you give me some ideas? If it's not good,I don't konw why,because I don't know the right English wording Habit :huh:

:lol:

Hi Chris,

Very nice work indeed!

Is this shown on a kind of Chinese "you tube" or "Vimeo"?

the first demo is for a smartphone game?

I would try that direction jobwise creating smartphone game apps.

I don't know, if you can sell from china to the android and apple app market though?

I have been to China many times as a designer for decorational items (christmas,easter, etc.)

Mostly to Xiamen and nearby.

Very nice and enthusiastic and dedicated people over there developing their country at a fast pace.

I wish you all the best of luck for you and your company

;-) Jake

Yes,this is shown on just like youtube,I loadup them on my Microblogging of QQ(just like msn),then the animation was saved on the "YOUTUBE" of QQ

I made it just for showing my studio,the Chinese words at last are my studio's name~but I have done some project about computer games,-----models making,the action about walking or run

I'm not sure what kind sell Channel do you want,my studio is a part of the group of university students' self-employed~This group is assisted by government organization.

The government give every company in this group houses,money,and other help~The most important is all of these help are free! Of course,it's not easy to join this group~

So,there are also some companys work about software on android and apple.We often cooperate together~

If you will come to China(for Holiday or business),welcome to Dalian~we could communicate more~ :lol:

Nice to see you~

Excellent demos. I agree with Rodney. Keep the second one for the beginning of your demo reel.

Keep up the good work. You are learning fast!

Thanks!

I will keep the style of the second one~

Learning a unkonw things is really hard,but I like do it,I will keep up as you said~ :)

For a beginner these are already very well done :) Keep up learning and you will become a real master ;)

See you

*Fuchur*

Thank you!

I will learn it more diligent :rolleyes:

• 5 weeks later...
I'm not sure if I should use the words "Animation for show",could you give me some ideas? If it's not good,I don't konw why,because I don't know the right English wording Habit :huh:

Maybe the expression you are looking for is "Animation Demonstration"?

I think your animations show a lot of promise. With a little more work you can probably start approaching local companies that have TV ads to create 3D logos and short advertising spots, where animation might show up for 3-10 seconds demonstrating the product.

Keep it up, can't wait to see more!

• 1 month later...

Maybe the expression you are looking for is "Animation Demonstration"?

I think your animations show a lot of promise. With a little more work you can probably start approaching local companies that have TV ads to create 3D logos and short advertising spots, where animation might show up for 3-10 seconds demonstrating the product.

Keep it up, can't wait to see more!

Thanks! I‘m just making Dynamic image for website. I will upload it soon.

• 11 months later...