Hash, Inc. Forums

Exercise 10

So this isn't done, yet. It's still a work-in-progress. I'm about to go for a walk, to stretch the legs a bit and get some exercise, but wanted to at least show what I'm up to so far.. Next up is the rear wings.

Good times!

Plane_Work.png

Annnnnd we're done!

Was a pain getting those side decals set up. Trying to hide the pixelation in the images was proving rather difficult, so I just scaled it as well as I could, and called 'er done.

Next!

Fighter0.png

The big concept in this tut is using extrusion and it looks like you got that!

The tricky part in it for me was moving and rotating the pivot point to lathe the wheels, and then later on the "cap" for the propeller.

Can't say I understand what's going on there, only that I'm rotating the axis and lathing 'til I get the effect I want. I'm sure it'll click at some point. 'til then, I'll just do it through trial and error.

I checked the video to see what you're supposed to do there, 'cause the instructions in the book weren't very clear to me. Looks like even the guy doing the tutorial had some trouble with it, so at least it's not just me.

Anyway, was an interesting tutorial. Some new stuff in there. I remember working on that tutorial in the past (back when I first bought A:M) but I don't think I ever did complete it. That pivot thing would have definitely been familiar.

Thanks!

• Hash Fellow
The tricky part in it for me was moving and rotating the pivot point to lathe the wheels, and then later on the "cap" for the propeller.

I always just spline and lathe around the default center axis without moving the pivot, then move the part where ever it's needed. But it's interesting that one can change that pivot.

I always just spline and lathe around the default center axis without moving the pivot, then move the part where ever it's needed. But it's interesting that one can change that pivot.

I was considering doing it that way, but then I wanted to follow the tutorial as closely as I could, especially for things like techniques that may be necessary or helpful later on.

If you do it that way, though, and it works out fine, then I might just do that instead. It's just so much easier to let the global Y axis be the center point than to change the pivot point all around.