Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Wet look

On a side note: Is it possible to animate a change in the refractive index using maps ? One of the things I did notice with the ripples on the floor boards was that the lines stayed straight when the swell passed over it.

There is no refractive index type setting for the decal.

It's the bump map that makes the lines ripple. So if there isn't any gradation in the bump map, then there will be no rippling.

Refraction will bend the image uniformly. However upping the refraction in the group surface properties will increase your render times, sometimes quite drastically.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A strange effect takes place while rendering the test.

When rendered as a QT file or single frames with multi pas enabled you get this,

Mopping0.jpg

when doing a quick render with no multi pass, to check the visibility you get this,

Screen_grab.tiff

What would cause the decal of the floor boards not to render in one but be there in the other ?

regards

simon

What would cause the decal of the floor boards not to render in one but be there in the other ?

I too have noticed discrepancies between renders done via the quick "render lock" and final render settings. Especially when transparency is involved. See this post . In some cases (especially with transparency) I prefer the screen render results. So yes, it makes it difficult to tweak. The reason the render lock image is different is that some computations apparently aren't done, or are done differently than the final render. Additionally there will be differences in final renders if you go with Multipass OFF, versus Multipass ON.

I would need to see your settings (in your decal container, group surface, render settings) before commenting as to how to tweak.

Can you post a screen grab, and describe what you are doing?

Btw, it is much much better (easier for viewers) if you post jpgs or pngs to the forum, not tiffs. In order to see tiffs I have to download and save the file, and then open it up in photoshop. I converted your last screen grab tiff to jpg.

Screen_grab.jpg

Edited by NancyGormezano

I would need to see your settings (in your decal container, group surface, render settings) before commenting as to how to tweak.

Btw, it is much much better (easier for viewers) if you post jpgs or pngs to the forum, not tiffs.

Nancy

Apologies for the non jpg, I was unaware of that limit.

I will try to get the screen grabs this evening ( anything to get away from the Olympics ...)

simon

Apologies if my last message appeared rude at all ? The Olympics are driving some to distraction around here.

If I was a less equable bloke this could drive me crackers..

I realised that my working process needed to be simplified and, following your very welcome assistance, I think I've got the water about right.

I tested it and this was the result.Water_Test.mov

Then, I tried it in a slightly different setting ( added walls and ceiling ) and this happened.

Mopping_2.mov

Some very strange grid reflections appeared which I have never seen before this evening?

I should add here that I am working on a 3.3ghz Imac with OSX 10.68, in V15J., if that has any relevance ?

and these are three of the maps used.

Mopping_040.jpg for the bump map

MoppingR_040.jpg for the reflective equivalent

MoppingT_040.jpg For the transparent

I had reworked the mopping sequence and here are the settings for the maps on the mesh. Apologies at this point as the grab option is not playing fair so the settings are

reflectivity 100 %

Transparency 50%

Bump 50%

Render_to_file_settings_01.jpg

Render_to_file_settings_02.jpg

Thank you once again for your help.

regards

simon

If I was a less equable bloke this could drive me crackers..

Then, I tried it in a slightly different setting ( added walls and ceiling ) and this happened.

Some very strange grid reflections appeared which I have never seen before this evening?

I should add here that I am working on a 3.3ghz Imac with OSX 10.68, in V15J., if that has any relevance ?

Yes, this endless tweaking drives me crazy as well, but it's worth it in the end. I'm learning something.

I would expect to see a difference between your first movie and 2nd in previous post. You changed the camera angle, and you added the room: something more for the water to reflect. I saw a difference when I added a room as well (did not change camera angle)

And yes, I have no doubt that if I switched to 15j+, PC I would start to see even more different results from mine (16, 17) and yours.

Other things that will make qualitative differences in resultant image: I am using klieg light (not bulb), no shadows, No soft reflections.

Not sure about your grid pattern. I see evidence of it in both of your movies (in the floor boards), before the floor gets wet, and more pronounced in the 2nd movie, because of camera angle. Are your floor board patterns a decal? My first suspicion would be the image that you're using.

17b5KliegNOshadowsCompare.jpg

Not sure about your grid pattern. I see evidence of it in both of your movies (in the floor boards), before the floor gets wet, and more pronounced in the 2nd movie, because of camera angle. Are your floor board patterns a decal? My first suspicion would be the image that you're using.

Nancy

Thank you once again for your help.

It is a decal for the floor boards but there should not be a grid on it?

The uneven quality of the lines is deliberate because I was trying to get a hand drawn look to it rather than a solid black cg type line.

I looked at using the Hickory floor boards but the it came up as a dsts file and I don't know what that is or how to apply it?

Hope you enjoy your weekend.

regards

simon

It is a decal for the floor boards but there should not be a grid on it?

The uneven quality of the lines is deliberate because I was trying to get a hand drawn look to it rather than a solid black cg type line.

I looked at using the Hickory floor boards but the it came up as a dsts file and I don't know what that is or how to apply it?

Ok...NOW I see the grid you are talking about in the 2nd movie. (I had to enlarge the movie so I could see it). I don't know where that is coming from, other than possibly it's a reflection of some decal/material on your ceiling? I was originally referring to the variations of gray inbetween the floorboards. It just seemed odd, that it was only in one area. A hand drawn look is always preferrable in my book!

The image I am using for the wood pattern is a tga file...I don't know what a dsts file is. The wood pattern was included in the zip file I posted above. When I looked at the contents of the zip file, I see it is listed as woodb.TGA (caps), whereas the other .tga files have lower case for the extension. Perhaps macs don't understand caps in extensions? Just rename it with lower case? I believe I originally got this image off an A:M CD/data/materials/wood-b.TGA. I believe it is a very old image, so any CD/year will do.

zipfilecontents.jpg

floorboardfunny.jpg

Nancy

Thank you once again.

The Dsts file was one that someone else used in another thread about wet looks. I had thought they got it from your post but was evidentially mistaken. I shall try yours later.

In the meantime, by way of a minor diversion, I tried the technique on an idea mentioned earlier, with this result.

Window.mov

Only the first pass at it.

Macs do understand caps I think, it was my error.

regards

simon

looks like rain on the window pane.

The Dsts file was one that someone else used in another thread about wet looks.

Ah..yes..now I remember. Dst files are related to DarkTree materials (procedurally generated patterns). I'm not sure how you get ahold of them. I have them because they were used on TWO. But I don't think they are standard issue with A:M anymore. There might be free ones? or you might have to purchase, not sure. right click on material/ new material/change attribute type to plugin/darktree/simbiont/load darktree (usually a dstc or dsts file - have no idea what the difference is)

In general I stay away from complicated procedural materials because usually they are render intensive, and I find images/decals easier to control, and faster to render, and can get the same look. Bitmapplus material comes standard with A:M and you can easily use that with any image if you don't want to mess with decals. It has its funnies as well. right click/new material/change attribute type to plugin/kci:dnd/bitmapplus/add an image. Renders fast, but you only get to use it for color, bump, displacement type.

looks like rain on the window pane.

[Thanks for the tip on the dark tree materials.

Rain on the window pane is what I was trying for. The setting will have to be done carefully.

I don't usually go for Acronyms but there is one I remember frequently.

KISS

Keep it simple simon

regards

simon