Hash, Inc. Forums

Anything Goes Spring/Summer

The Winner have been posted Here!

There was a tie for 2nd place you will both get the 2nd place award. If you entered from a email that is not listed on our store please send your store email to support@hash.com.

Thank you all that entered and Voted!

Hash, Inc.

Off to comic con!

There were some entries I couldn't figure out who did what. Others, of course were pretty obvious (based on being familiar with the projects). It would be great to see all the names and entries. Everyone who entered deserves credit !

Congrats Marcos, Robert!

I was very surprised that my "Starry Buggy Night" tied for 2nd (didn't think it would place at all). I guessed that my "Flamenco Frenzy" would probably come in 3rd. Thanks!

Yeah, I too was thinking, "MH related to Capone?". I have a cousin who is married to someone who descends from Capone family. They are very tight-lipped, touchy about his ancestry. Can't dig up anything, YET, and I am a ferocious dog-with-a-bone family tree google-obsessed-historian.

thank you everybody for voting me... as you know, my entry is the main set of a short that I'm working on.

I would like to comment about other entries mainly 2nd and 3rd ones.

The Al Capone model is already a classic here and a great job done by Robert, I missed some fine textures on it... a displacement map would be great there as well as a better color map. The hair is superb and the stereo image is killer, kudos.

Nancy.... your images are a dream, the colors, the composition, the characters. Please keep bringing them to us and of course animate them !!!!!

Congratulation to all other participants. The excelence comes with the practice don't give up, remember ..... detail, details, details this makes the difference at all.

Thank you again I'm honored.

• Hash Fellow
I'm not sure if that really was meant to be Al Capone...

When I first saw that image, I was immediately thinking of someone with M.H. as initials... :rolleyes:;)

Well, it was meant to look like Al Capone. I'll admit it isn't a great likeness yet. It seems like the more i try to make it look like Al Capone, the more it looks like Edward G. Robinson, Richard Nixon, or maybe even Martin. :o

It's not really "done" yet, I'll continue to refine it when i get more time and hopefully rig him and animate him too.

- the eyebrows are the element I'm least happy with. They kind of look like glued-on caterpillars

- the five o' clock is actual hair. I was surprised that worked.

- I'm pleased with how the "Pharr" skin shaders worked (These are plugin shaders at the bottom of the "Surface" properties). I started looking at that when i found SSS and bump maps don't work together well.

- However, I ended up not adding bump maps. I didn't like the way my first attempts looked, I'll need more practice painting details like that.

- the pinstripes are a material made using the extended grid combiner and applied separately to different groups on the suit. I tried a "dark pinstripe suit" look first but it made the lapels just about invisible and I wanted the wide lapels to be obvious.

Well, it was meant to look like Al Capone. I'll admit it isn't a great likeness yet. It seems like the more i try to make it look like Al Capone, the more it looks like Edward G. Robinson, Richard Nixon, or maybe even Martin. :o

- the eyebrows are the element I'm least happy with. They kind of look like glued-on caterpillars

I think it's a fantastic likeness to Capone. Immediately recognizable. You've captured the essence. The surprise is that Martin resembles Capone! Could be the caterpillah eyebrows? :lol:

I like the eyebrows.

If you are trying for accurate realism, closer to Capone, then you need to introduce the asymmetry, quirks of his face. Might be interesting as an exercise for honing one's skills, but this model is great the way it is.

If you are trying for accurate realism, closer to Capone, then you need to introduce the asymmetry, quirks of his face.

You could do that with an action and play around with it. Really push it and see what happens. If you get the asymmetry it may very well help with the likeness.

On second viewing, the eyebrows are a little weird at the inner ends the way little bits extend further. But that's the only part that doesn't look natural. The caterpillar effect doesn't bother me.

On THIRD viewing, what does bother me is the pinstripes on the collar section of the lapels. Pinstripes just don't radiate out like that. Can you fix it by rotating the material?

• Hash Fellow
If you are trying for accurate realism, closer to Capone, then you need to introduce the asymmetry, quirks of his face.

You could do that with an action and play around with it. Really push it and see what happens. If you get the asymmetry it may very well help with the likeness.

Based on his mug shot there's a fair amount of opportunity for asymmetry. But I haven't gotten far enough past "Copy/flip/attach often" to be confident the mesh isn't going to change so I'll try asymmetry last.

On THIRD viewing, what does bother me is the pinstripes on the collar section of the lapels. Pinstripes just don't radiate out like that. Can you fix it by rotating the material?

True, they don't radiate like that. That was my quick and dirty solution to get something working for now. i wasn't able to unwrap the collar well-enough to put straight stripes on it and have them look good when it was re-wrapped. I think to do that properly I need to model the collar flat, put the material on it, then use an action to wrap it on the jacket.

I'd like to try to make the whole jacket as simcloth. I'll need to redo it anyway since all he is now is a head and shoulders...

head_and_shoulders.JPG

here ya go

i did kind of crappy job skinning him but it wouldnt show in the final image that i entered so i didnt care too much

Interesting concept, nice lighting. Hard to tell what's really going on. Is that the same image as was entered?

That was the first time I entered.

Which one was yours?

here ya go

i did kind of crappy job skinning him but it wouldnt show in the final image that i entered so i didnt care too much

Interesting concept, nice lighting. Hard to tell what's really going on. Is that the same image as was entered?

yes mine was the last one on the page.

heres the image again

2012_summer_image_contest_mountain_fighter.jpg

took 14 hours to render this image believe it or not.

yes mine was the last one on the page.

heres the image again

took 14 hours to render this image believe it or not.

Ahhh yes...now I remember...uh..The one of just the viking dolphin is a different image than the one you entered... I was afraid me memory sticks were going jelly.

14 hours. wow. Nice terrain.

True, they don't radiate like that. That was my quick and dirty solution to get something working for now. i wasn't able to unwrap the collar well-enough to put straight stripes on it and have them look good when it was re-wrapped. I think to do that properly I need to model the collar flat, put the material on it, then use an action to wrap it on the jacket.

I think you could probably get away with doing a bitmapplus material - using a vertically striped image of your choice, size it appropriately, and then rotate it to taste individually for each group. No flattening, unwrapping required. I made 3 groups - collar, lapel, jacket (as a sewing pattern might do) and just varied the rotation of the bitmapplus material in each instance.

BitmapPlusMaterialVerticalS.jpg

vest_step_14.jpg

• Hash Fellow

Here's an actual pinstripe collar, it goes all the way around the back in one piece. Flattened out, it would be easy to apply a straight material on it.

pinstripecollar.jpg

Mine was just the spark plug :)

I liked that one. What does it mean?

Congrats to all the winners -----very awesome stuff indeed. And Robert your not exactly Al Capone maybe MH would make an awesome Mascot some version. Also Nancy- your renders color's are vibrant and stunning. Xtaz your cottage scene is right out of a fairy tale indeed--nice. Inspiration from all of you.