Hash, Inc. Forums

Batman Table-Top Diorama

largento

Came across this cool blog Al Bigley does with all kinds of comics and stuff from my generation and thought I'd contribute to it.

I took the cut-out table-top diorama from this post and put it together in A:M. I made a YouTube video of it and it's now included in the post. Like I said, nothing fancy, but a fun little project that was basically done with cookie-cut decals (after I clipped the images out in Photoshop.)

Despite my mentioning that I did it in 3D, he originally thought it was the real thing filmed with a camera. :-)

If you'd like to do one, there were a bunch of them printed on the backs of the old over-sized Treasury comics and if you go through the gallery here, you can download the images.

Cute.

You might also try a stereo render from A:M to get a still 3D image (no need for video). Viewing resultant A:M stereo anaglyphic renders (pure, color, grey) remind me of pop-up layers, similar to what you show in your video.

I have no idea what the cross-eyed renders look like, as I am unable to view them. But the color would be better of course.

Thanks, all!

The Mad Fold-Ins would be pretty easy to do and once you set one up, it should work by just loading in another image to allow you to use it over and over again.

I did consider 3D, but so few people have glasses. I also liked that there was some visual interest in the movement. I purposely set up the cho with only one klieg light to cast shadows onto the parts. Thought they added a layer of realism.

I had to google Al Jaffee and Mad fold-in's, not surprisingly, I didn't remember them!

However I did find this interactive bunch of fold-ins here on NYTimes website. Neat!

I did consider 3D, but so few people have glasses. I also liked that there was some visual interest in the movement. I purposely set up the cho with only one klieg light to cast shadows onto the parts. Thought they added a layer of realism.

I agree. Asking your audience to jump thru hoops, cuts down the number of viewers.