Hash, Inc. Forums

time for in depth tutorials

tomross2002

Hi, everybody. I actually have some time off from work to animate! I have a great character modeled and it's time to really learn these constraints. I'd like to know some great tutorial resources that will help with picking up objects, surface constraints (ie. a hand not going through a table top). I'm finding it's difficult to manuever hands and arms realistically and easily. Any suggestions on specific tutorials would be great! Thomas

BAR_ROOM0.jpg

• Hash Fellow
Hi, everybody. I actually have some time off from work to animate! I have a great character modeled and it's time to really learn these constraints. I'd like to know some great tutorial resources that will help with picking up objects, surface constraints (ie. a hand not going through a table top). I'm finding it's difficult to manuever hands and arms realistically and easily. Any suggestions on specific tutorials would be great! Thomas

First I'll say you should learn to install a standard rig like TSM2, or AM2008, or "Lite". They have the most functionality for the effort involved.

However, sounds like you need to learn about "IK"

See my "Simplest IK Leg " video for introduction to that:

http://www.brilliantisland.com/am/amtutorials.htm

And an arm is not much different...

http://www.brilliantisland.com/am/amtutorials.htm

Other members have made some fine tuts with more detail on rigging. Hopefully they will join in with links.

HA! Funny characters! I like them! I can recommend TSM, but it may be a little more than you need... do the characters just sit at the table or will they walk about? As far as 'hands not passing thru tables'... I don't know of any constraints that will do that... I usually leave that up to the animator (me) to see that it does not happen.

Hi, John. They're actually very advanced in construction. Many poses, walking, running actions. Lip sync included! The hands aren't constrained to their targets as the feet are. This may be the reason for my difficulty in controlling them. I'm very near the point of posting on YouTube.

I have a great character modeled and it's time to really learn these constraints. I'd like to know some great tutorial resources that will help with picking up objects, surface constraints (ie. a hand not going through a table top).
There are pretty much no constraints that will keep things automatically from passing through each other. For example, if you watch Monsters, Inc. very closely, there is one scene where Mike is at the counter talking with Roz, and his head goes through the edge of the counter. Only really noticeable if you are going through frame-by-frame. Even the big guys have to be careful.

• Hash Fellow

Basically, animators pose and keyframe things to be where they want them to be (on a table) and not where they don't want them to be (in the table).

If you are having trouble keeping a hand from going thru a table there is some fundamental basic mistake happening and we want to identify that sooner rather than later so you aren't hobbled by that.