Hash, Inc. Forums

Trailer for Office Bowling

I am going to be making a CG trailer for my company The Backyard Games first released game Office Bowling. As of right now it is playable on Facebook and it will soon becoming to iOS and Android phones and tablets. It is being made with Unity 3d. All animations done in Animation Master. Modelling with Animation Master and 3ds Max and UV Mapped with 3ds Max. Every visual aspect of the game was done by me. Except, which seems very major, is the main character model and his main 4 skins that come with the game. I came onto the project after he had chosen to use this character. However, I did do all of the animations and rigged the character myself in Animation Master. And there are 4 additional unlockable textures per gender in the game that you can unlock that I did make myself. You guys should go check it out!

Here's some quick snapshots we have on our Facebook Page to show some parts of the game.

468561_312152602190549_431179123_o.jpg477137_312152632190546_39439765_o.jpg575060_312152752190534_274681464_n.jpg478520_312152812190528_811928994_o.jpg

But my boss (we are a team, but he has the money and is mostly in charge), said he was thinking a 2 minute trailer and then a 60 second gameplay trailer. I dont really like his approach and depending on if I can get a decent 2 minutes in or not I may try to talk him down to a much shorter approach because thats a lot for a mobile game trailer.

So I am going to be sharing my progress and anything I can get time to post with you guys. I am going to be making this in a very short period of time so I am not sure how much ill be posting.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are my first two render tests. Think I got the toon render settings how I like them. Think it need to make it brighter though, but ill know more when more is added to the scene.

Not all colored here I know, but it is sure to come as well as other parts.

OBtrailerPrev1.pngOBtrailerPrev2.png

Yeah, talk your boss down to a minute or 30 seconds for a trailer. Two minutes would have to be amazing to keep people's attention.

Yeah I was thinking the same. And I was also like.. an animation minute is a lot longer than most minutes we deal with. And it'd maybe be more suitable if our game had more too it then just a guy bowling in his chair. It would have to be like really really funny or I dont even know what. I am going to get him to go down to around 30 seconds or so. I am just going to go with my plan and how I see it and see where that takes me.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there anybody that has some sort of recording equipment and could do just a few lines for me for this trailer? I wasnt really going to go with dialogue with this trailer but I really think just a few lines will sort of help it out. I cant really offer any money just thought I would ask to see if anyone is willing to help out.

I plan on having my first three shots at least animated by the morning.

There isn't a set script I guess is my only way to explain this.

But what i want is some deep exhales or whatever noun would be best for the action of sounding very bored at work.

He is going to have a phone call as well. Want it to sound very annoying and bored with it.

Along the lines of:

"Hello, this is Blah, how may I help you? ... Yes mam ... No mam ... Sorry we are not responsible for that ... Thank you have a good day"

This is a generic office, no idea what they are selling or what services they provide so could just do any sort of boring phone call with a customer. And preferabbly in short exerpts so I could shorten or lengthen the call if need be.

And in a different voice someone saying. "Oh sorry I didnt mean to do that. Ill clean that up"

& "What are you going to do?"

both of those sounding a little more happy then the other guys tone.

And in same voice as guy doing phone call "No, no, its fine you actually just gave me a great idea."

"Watch this." [he is about to roll down the hallway to knock down the trashcans.]

I dont know if that is too much to ask of, considering I can not offer any sort of payment [at the time being. if things take off i can pay whatever amount is reasonable]

Here are two animation sequences I've almost got complete. Some more fine tuning that I will go back over when i finish up all of the other scenes. There is still some lip syncing to be done in the Scene04 video and more to it but just thought I would share where I am at right now.

• 3 weeks later...
I LIKE IT! Love the reactions of the office workers as he whizzes by them... great concept? How is the game programing coming?

Thanks! The coding is all finished up. The trailer was actually the last thing finished, hah. It was sent out for iPad approval today. When that is approved it goes to iPods/iPhones and then Android devices very shortly after. It is already up and running on Facebook, though!