Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

How to capture the intersection of a plane

robcat2075

• Hash Fellow

If i pass any arbitrarily shaped object through another surface (lets start with something as simple as a plane) how can i capture the shape of the intersection on that surface at any moment?

For example, the intersection of this torus with the plane would be a couple of ovals.

intersection.JPG

How could I capture that? I can sort of get the edges of the object as they pass thru the plane by putting an orthogonal camera very close to the plane...

TorusThroughPlane.mov

... but it misses pixels and I'd really like to have the shapes filled, not just the outlines.

I'm trying to find a way to better simulate the disturbance an object makes immediately around it as it sits in a liquid. Being able to have an image of the intersection of the object with the plane of the liquid would be a part of that.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If i pass any arbitrarily shaped object through another surface (lets start with something as simple as a plane) how can i capture the shape of the intersection on that surface at any moment?

For example, the intersection of this torus with the plane would be a couple of ovals.

intersection.JPG

How could I capture that? I can sort of get the edges of the object as they pass thru the plane by putting an orthogonal camera very close to the plane...

TorusThroughPlane.mov

... but it misses pixels and I'd really like to have the shapes filled, not just the outlines.

I'm trying to find a way to better simulate the disturbance an object makes immediately around it as it sits in a liquid. Being able to have an image of the intersection of the object with the plane of the liquid would be a part of that.

Booleans? I remember (very deep somewhere in my head) that using two booleans above eachother will invert them, right? (maybe I am confusing it with another software)

See you

*Fuchur*