Hash, Inc. Forums

Snap to Surface in 17 beta5

I am not understanding how to use the snap to surface feature? This is my first time trying it.

Can someone walk me thru the steps to get started, please.

I have made a SIMPLE obj in A:M (model exported as obj)

I imported that obj 1) as a prop, and 2) imported that obj into a blank model.

I have tried to use the snap to surface feature both in model window, as well as in chor (with prop)

If I try to do it in the chor, and use the Add cp's - I get a path object

If I try to create CP's in model that has prop imported in it (used plugin - import, obj) - I can't seem to control how the cps snap to surface.

No comprendo. Que pasa?

snapgrouptosurface.jpg

I explored it a little in THIS thread:

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showt...8&hl=soccer

Thanks Matt - I had looked at your thread already to get me started - however what TOOL? are you talking about? I seem to have the same icons in play, however when I add CP's in the chor - I get a path object, and nothing snaps to nuthin'.

1st- I lathed a really dense sphere and exported it as an OBJ. Then imported it into the chor as a prop... this was to be the surface for me to draw on, activating the S2S function. A couple false starts, a couple rounds of 'make it bigger-make it smaller' and I had a good workable base.

The tool and the 'snap group to surface' option worked really well, a couple of times it would snap to the backside surface- but the undo got me back. Whats REALLY nice is when you have the tool ON, you can slide CPs around and they adhere perfectly to the surface.

What you did wrong was this:

If I try to do it in the chor, and use the Add cp's - I get a path object

In the chor, go to your PWS and click on your empty patch-model. Then click on the "Modeling-Mode" (F5).

If you now click on the Add-button, you will create new CPs in the empty patch-model while being in the chor.

That is the way that should be used for polygon-models as references.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Snap-To-Surface is also very helpful for creating for example cloth for characters, etc.

For that you can use Snap-To-Surface in the modelling-window. First model you character, then use Snap-To-Surfac ein the modelling-window too model cloth fitting the body.

Info: Note that you can set a distance-value for the snap-to-surface-tool now (I think from beta 4 or 5 on).

The Option for that can be found at "Tools > Options > Modelling > Snap to Surface Offset".

Hope that helps a little.

See you

*Fuchur*

Snap-To-Surface is also very helpful for creating for example cloth for characters, etc.

For that you can use Snap-To-Surface in the modelling-window. First model you character, then use Snap-To-Surfac ein the modelling-window too model cloth fitting the body.

Info: Note that you can set a distance-value for the snap-to-surface-tool now (I think from beta 4 or 5 on).

The Option for that can be found at "Tools > Options > Modelling > Snap to Surface Offset".

Hope that helps a little.

The video was great, thank you, thank you!

And yes I was more successful with modeling and using S2S in the chor using an obj model as the template, based on what you demonstrated in your video. However, it seems like not all modeling functions are available - particularly "y" to add a cp to a selected spline, or to "drag selection" in the chor (must click on lasso first instead).

So, I again tryed to model in modeling window with snap to surface (offset=.5 cm - the default) - I had an awful time trying to get the CP's to snap to the front surface - almost impossible (was not successful ever). It keeps snapping to the furthest surface - the projection of new CP's onto the surface seems weirdly wrong, regardless of any changes in offset value or if I have the option to "draw selected cps on top" checked or not.

I also experienced crashes. Not sure what I did.

How do you keep the new cps, or when moving the new cps, from snapping to the furthest (screen space) surface?

modelingoptions.jpg

I seem to remember the 'back-snappin' is due to the fact that the tool looks for the closest CP in the line of sight... which may well be on the backside. This is why you will want to export as dense of an obj as you can. OR- export a frontside and then a separate backside that you can turn off and on as needed. I do believe the feature is still being worked on. If you can repeat a crash- report it.

I seem to remember the 'back-snappin' is due to the fact that the tool looks for the closest CP in the line of sight... which may well be on the backside. This is why you will want to export as dense of an obj as you can. OR- export a frontside and then a separate backside that you can turn off and on as needed. I do believe the feature is still being worked on. If you can repeat a crash- report it.

Jep you need to be careful there. In Modelling-window, you can easily use the lock and the hide-feature to solve those problems.

Somehow it is much harder for A:M to calculate it in the modelling-window. I am not sure why this is the case. Steffen can tell you more, but this is a known thing.

In general, you need to be aware which surface you are at with your mouse.

See you

*Fuchur*

Thanks MattBoote & Gerald!

Yes, lock and hide will help some. And probably using partial (1/4) models as templates: eg, right front, right back, would help make the snap more controllable. And modeling in chor may just be the way for now.

I was testing this feature to see if using a 3D template/rotoscope made with "A:M primitive shapes" (spheres, cubes, etc), would be easier than splining without a 3D template. I will fiddle some more.

Unlike others here, I have yet to have a need for resplining a dense model from other 3D packages.

Hey Nancy, if you want a more high-density polygon model to practice on, there are sites like TurboSquid where you can download free poly models. you might have better luck, or at least less frustration, starting with a higher density original.

Hey Nancy, if you want a more high-density polygon model to practice on, there are sites like TurboSquid where you can download free poly models. you might have better luck, or at least less frustration, starting with a higher density original.

Thanks Gerry, I already have some high density .obj models from other programs. I'm not necessarily interested in recreating them in A:M.

However I have also found it is easy to export a normally low patch model in A:M (eg collection of spheres) to obj format using 16 polys/patch to get a stupidly dense model to practice on. And if one imports that stupid model into a blank model and reexports it, I suspect it could get even stupiderly denser!

In my first post here, I exported a simple lathed model made in A:M to obj format for practice.

Here's another ridiculous example. In this case, it might be easier to generate 2D rotos from the simple model and use those for splining in A:M

mousetemplate.jpg

Lest ye forget- there's a cool wizard called 'splitpatch' which will automatically double/quadruple your patchcount without all that exporting.

Ah Yes - true.

I'm not finding I need anything denser

So, for my purposes, I am finding that it is just simply easier to create a new spline model with both the chor and model windows open, and not necessarily always use the snap to surface tool. I would only use it when it helps, and primarily in chor.

What I am finding easiest (and probably, maybe, the way others have been doing it before):

1) Start new chor. Delete everything. Drag/Import the 3D mesh that is to serve as a template into the blank chor (as a prop if .obj) or as a simple primitive model if created in A:M.

2) Start a new blank model, drag into chor.

3) Make the 3D template model unpickable in chor. Optionally make it a color, with transparency. Make it display either as shaded or shaded with wireframe. Make the new model display as wireframe (or whatever), different color. Select the blank model in chor. Go into modeling mode (F5).

4) Open the window for the new blank model. With both model window & chor window open (alt V), start laying down new splines in chor window and model window (thus having access to all tools), and observe in chor window how it conforms to the 3D template.

If I want to use the snap to surface feature, then I do it in the chor window and simultaneously observe what's happening in model window.

Edited by NancyGormezano

Nancy,

I have a high mesh human character imported from .obj. I've already converted it to A:M and "Halved" it. I've been trying to create a smooth exact replica of it using the S2S tool. If you want to practice on a high mesh, I could use the help :)

The hardest thing I've found is that many poly models aren't mapped out spline wise like we are use to. So you have to choose where all the spline rings will go rather than just reducing the number based on the .obj.

William

Nancy,

I have a high mesh human character imported from .obj. I've already converted it to A:M and "Halved" it. I've been trying to create a smooth exact replica of it using the S2S tool. If you want to practice on a high mesh, I could use the help :)

The hardest thing I've found is that many poly models aren't mapped out spline wise like we are use to. So you have to choose where all the spline rings will go rather than just reducing the number based on the .obj.

William

Import it as a Prop, not a patch-model (that will not work properly and will decrease performance noticeable). Use the chor-implentation which is the faster and more useful one (at last for me for me).

It is wise to have a solid knowledge of patch-continuity before starting to use this feature. It really can help a lot to find the right form, but if you built continuity-problems etc. into the mesh you will have problems later on.

The typical approach is to search for the "extrem"-points (highest / lowest) on the surface. These will very likely be the once you need to create the patch-model with. And you can of course move points around on the surface in shaded-mode to

see, which position is the best.

See you

*Fuchur*