Hash, Inc. Forums

2d Game Assets / Pop's Face Project

how do you use this in a 2D game?

Hmmmm not sure this is my first game what I gather so far from wildside at http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=41699

he done a image sequence and flip flop between photo shop and something else. Mines gonna be a just a simple 2d side scroll shooter

other tips will be greatly appreciated.

how do you use this in a 2D game?

They can be used in all kinds of ways, if you were making a doom style 3d game you could render out the guns from behind and then position them in your game making software and animate them to bob along in 'front' of the character. For a side scroller you could paste the rendered gun into your characters hands or render out a quick rotation so it can spin in place as a pick up. Hell of a lot easier than drawing individual sprites.

Just curious is there another name for the Doom Style 3d Games

Think the Doom Style would look better in a apartment hall way type setting ?

Well doom maps were generated using a technique called ray casting that simulated 3d space from a 2d floor plan so you could call it raycast3D, ID software also started referring to the engine as id-tech 1 so it could be called id-tech 1 style.

Nice AK by the way.

Just curious is there another name for the Doom Style 3d Games

Think the Doom Style would look better in a apartment hall way type setting ?

Well doom maps were generated using a technique called ray casting that simulated 3d space from a 2d floor plan so you could call it raycast3D, ID software also started referring to the engine as id-tech 1 so it could be called id-tech 1 style.

Nice AK by the way.

Thank You Wildsided

Still working on the project I got one of the main floor done for the apartment building now just a lot of copy and past, may add a few beds and chest of draws.

3d_model_Apartment_Floor_1.jpg

When doing a 2d doom style game does the background move along with the players ? or is the back ground still and just the players move ?

When doing a 2d doom style game does the background move along with the players ? or is the back ground still and just the players move ?

The player (which is strictly speaking the camera) moves in 3D its just the environment isn't made of 3D objects in the popularly accepted sense. It's more just flat planes with textures on them to represent the environment (Floor and ground are generated separately to the walls). Any 'objects' within the environment are sprites that can change depending on the angle the camera is looking at them to make them look 3D. Alternatively the sprites can be set to always face the camera, it's less work to make the sprites that way but it looks less realistic.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with this, that first map looks great. It's a simple layout but it's tight and restricts the players' line of sight. Gonna be sweet dude.

I've been working on the apartment building and was playing around with the shotgun in the choreographie this is what look like I'm going for that dark setting look.

3d_model_Apartment_Building_with_gun_.jpg

I need to texture the buildings the guns and make the characters

I found my shooter for the game my dad Thanks pop's and Happy Father's Day

Dad_Front_.jpg Dad_Left__.jpg

I'm working on a the pops 3d head about got half way done, I still need to tweak it a little bit and lower the spline count down some. After messing with the choreographie the other day I may make this one into a

3d version instead of 2d version.

3d_model_pop_head_1.jpg 3d_model_pop_head_2.jpg 3d_model_pop_head_3.jpg 3d_model_pop_head_4.jpg

The part I'm having trouble with is the ears probable about the toughs to do on a body, I need to shape them a little better.

• Hash Fellow

Your father immortalized in splines!

On the ears... Those are a challenge. When I was trying to do ears for my Al Capone head I started out by just making the splines along the obvious contours an peaks and valleys, even if they didn't link up.

For example there's an obvious contour running from the front, over the top and down the back of the rim to the ear lobe. And another one just side that that makes the inside of that curled edge. Eventually I had what looked like a contour map of the ear. Not every spline was a complete loop, some just outlined a particular bump and stopped.

Then I experimented with running splines across those contour lines to fill in the patches. Eventually i got an ear.

You can also do a simple dish for an ear. That's all Pixar does now, they don't even bother with ear holes.

• Hash Fellow
Where I have the arrow at does it connect to any CP ?

capne_1.jpg

In that case I continued it on between the red and blue lines for a way and then connected it to the bottom part of the blue line which I had split into two parts.

There are a lot of cases where a spline starts out doing something convex and when it gets done snaking around the ear it has ended up doing something concave.

Here's the ear so far.

CaponeEar.mdl

It didn't end up exactly like that first drawing but that was a starting point to get the obvious stuff done, and then i could try to splice together the parts and make guesses about thing I couldn't see in the photograph.

on the outside line do you extrude to get the folds look ?

There isn't any extruding. This is all attaching splines together manually to complete the patches.

• Hash Fellow

It helps to have a very clear picture of the ear. It helps even more if you can have the ear in front of you to study from different angles, but they are generally not detachable.

I didn't like the last one and started over on a new one. I took some more pic with better lighting got it to line up right, and saved the ear from the last one may have to redo that a little bit not much.

The upper lip not really worried about it cause it has a lot of hair on it. I think this has swapped from a 2d game assets to a face project. I'm thinking about posing him in a mafia setting he like that stuff.

3d_model_pop_head_5.jpg 3d_model_pop_head_6.jpg 3d_model_pop_head_7.jpg 3d_model_pop_head_8.jpg

• Hash Fellow

I can tell you you are doing too many splines. For example, you really only need 8 CPs around the eye opening. The more splines you use the harder it will be to make smooth shapes.

Think peaks and valleys. What's sticking out the most... what's dipping in the most. That's where you HAVE to have splines running to define the contours, but in between... use as little as possible.

Also... don't use a CP to end a spline on the edge of a 4-sided patch. Use a hook.

I done another one and got the spline count down to 200, used hooks and 4 patch splines on the edge. The tricky part is the eye cause they sink to the back a little bit I'll have to work on that one.

3d_model_pop_head_9.jpg 3d_model_pop_head_10.jpg 3d_model_pop_head_11.jpg 3d_model_pop_head_12.jpg

I may do another one just to see how low I can get the splines count down.

You may want to choose a game engine first before killing yourself with all the modeling. They should provide you with some guidelines of the assets you need to produce the game.

Garage Games has the Torque engine with pretty fair licensing. I think there is a Torque exporter for AM but can't remember and never used it.

In general, the environments are usually created within the game engine. Imported objects are classified as decorations, characters etc and are usually created outside of the game engine as well as sprites and textures.

I'm still working on the project and my dad told me today when are we gonna start shooting some characters :D

I'm also working on another character and do you really have to model the teeth for your Character ?

3d_model_teeth_.jpg

I'm still working on the project and my dad told me today when are we gonna start shooting some characters :D

I'm also working on another character and do you really have to model the teeth for your Character ?

3d_model_teeth_.jpg

I often do it, but really basic... for instance a closed tube with some CPs moved around is giving not the worst tooth.

In really almost any situation (if you are not doing any kind of dental animation of course) it should be more than enough.

It is absolutely overkill to create the tooth roots... and it is very likely overkill to create the smallest details of the teeth.

See you

*Fuchur*

• 2 weeks later...

Took a break and done some fishing caught a few catfish and brim nothing big right size for eating though.

I finished pop body doing some tweaking on it trying to get the shoulder look right.

3d_model_pop_body_1a.jpg 3d_model_pop_body_1b.jpg 3d_model_pop_body_1c.jpg 3d_model_pop_body_1d.jpg

Also been doing some research on a game engine I'm down to four just got a find which one got the best licenses. The first two if I decide to go 2d and and the last two if I decide to go 3d hmmmm can't make my mine up. Pop said I ought to do it in 3d.

1. Game Maker Studio http://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker/

2. Multimedia Fusion 2 http://www.clickteam.com/website/world/

3. I torque http://www.garagegames.com/products/torque-2d-iphone

4. Unity 3d http://unity3d.com/

Nice modeling but if this is for a game, model only how the character will be in his/her final state with clothes and shoes. No need to model feet and toes if they are never seen.

Not quite sure how you could go about rendering out a cloth sim.. maybe bake it then remove the underlying geometry prior to export?

I decided to use the 2001 skeleton rig for the players to save time and I got every thing lined up on Pop's model and when I went to action the body was deformed like this, how you this ?

Pop__s_Rig_1.jpg Pop__s_Rig_2.jpg

Looks like hes got the zombie walk going on in the second one.

I was playing around with converting my models for unity and I found this one called autodesk fbx convertor it was free and I convertor the pop model to fbx and it had a big oh hole any suggestion to fix it.

Oh yah I got wait till I can get Unwrap 3D.

This is a final version of pop

3d_model_pop_final_1.jpg

This is fbx convertor brought into unity.

pop_2_body_fbx.jpg

I was playing around with converting my models for unity and I found this one called autodesk fbx convertor it was free and I convertor the pop model to fbx and it had a big oh hole any suggestion to fix it.

Oh yah I got wait till I can get Unwrap 3D.

This is a final version of pop

3d_model_pop_final_1.jpg

This is fbx convertor brought into unity.

pop_2_body_fbx.jpg

Normals are okay?

See you

*Fuchur*

I have been doing a lot with going from Animation Master to Unity3d , if you have any questions let me know I have been dealing with it a good bit recently.

Did you use any other software to get A:M into unity ?

Yes I had used Ultimate Unwrap 3d. I exported the model with all of the animations as .x files and then imported into Ultimate Unwrap 3d and then saved them as .fbx's.

Was playing around with to see what a top down shooter look like and come up with this.

Top_Down_Shooter_1.jpg

everything was saved as a png image and scaled down to sprite size not what size the background suppose to be I'll have to look that one up.

How do you get the Image texture into Unwrap 3d do you put that in the same folder when you save it as a direct .X ?

Was playing around with to see what a top down shooter look like and come up with this.

Top_Down_Shooter_1.jpg

everything was saved as a png image and scaled down to sprite size not what size the background suppose to be I'll have to look that one up.

How do you get the Image texture into Unwrap 3d do you put that in the same folder when you save it as a direct .X ?

Have a look at my signature... Video-Tutorials on exactly that subject.

See you

*Fuchur*

Yeah, Fuchur's tutorials will help you out there. I went through different programs to add textures to my models.

Fuchur I checked out your video A:m to Unity using unwrap 3d that helped out a lot.

I done a test went back and made sure all my normals was facing out ward ( time consuming ) and then brought it into unwrap 3d and saved it as a fbx and brought it into unity it showed up good on unity with no holes.

I made a simple rig and was playing around with the importing the walk action and for some reason the only part what would movie would be the head ?

When using a simple rig do I have to animate all the action for that rig ?

3d_pop_body_2_bones.jpg

totlover what programs did you use to add the texture ?

I made a simple rig and was playing around with the importing the walk action and for some reason the only part what would movie would be the head ?

3d_pop_body_2_bones.jpg

totlover what programs did you use to add the texture ?

And what all did you do again for the rig? Some one else might follow but im not sure I do.

And the way I did it involved a lot more work. I used 3ds Max to UV Map and texture the models that way. But I also had to do a lot of fixing to the rig in 3ds max and export it from there. It took me a little time to learn how to do that. The skinning process is sort of similar to Animation:Master when adding control points to the bones but it takes a good bit more work. So I think if you can figure out how to get them to work from A:M to U3d and then to Unity that is going to be the fastest way to go. I had some other things to worry about which is why I had to go through 3ds Max.

• Hash Fellow

Rule of re-usable actions... Your model needs to use the same rig as whatever the Action was animated with.

The head may move in your test because your head bone and the one in the Action have the exact same name. Bone names are what A:M uses to match things up.

Thank you robcat2075 I'll rename the bones to like to skeleton model and see what happens.

Have a couple question I have a apartment building with a lot of door on the inside do I animate one door and copy and past the other ones ? how would you bring all the doors into Unity 3d ?

Would you bring them separately or copy and past ? Hmmmmmmmm this one got me stumped.

• 3 weeks later...
Have a couple question I have a apartment building with a lot of door on the inside do I animate one door and copy and past the other ones ? how would you bring all the doors into Unity 3d ?

Would you bring them separately or copy and past ? Hmmmmmmmm this one got me stumped.

Not sure if you have already figured this out its been a while since you asked.. But i think your best bet would be too make 1 door and animate it opening and then just copy and paste it in unity. That way if you get this far in it will be easier to batch or something like that. But yeah I think you should do 1 door and just copy and paste.