Hash, Inc. Forums

Cheese Wars Episode 14

Hi all,

About to get started on the next episode of Cheese Wars and since it's been a long time, whipped this little render out just to make sure the guys still worked.

test1.jpg

For the first time, Cheese Wars is going to be a collaborative effort. We've got a few people signed up already, but if anyone else is looking for something to do, there's always room for more. We still need some modeling and texturing done, mainly props, but the Alien is going to need a makeover too. And you can never have enough animators.

Thanks,

Gregg

It's always amazed me how much material you've pumped out- hamlet was funny!

Did you finish Hamlet? I need to download the last bits- got the first 2.

Thanks Dearmad,

There's only the first two acts of Hamlet so far. Once the new Cheese Wars is done, I'll get back to Hamlet.

As for putting out a lot of material, it's easier when you know your artistic limitations and are satisfied with real simple animation, i.e. the cheese characters don't even have heads. None of my stuff will ever get me a job at Pixar, but as long as people have fun with the stories, that's what's most important.

Gregg

I really admire the work you guys have done with these simple yet cool characters.. I have watched all the episodes so far... Definetly something to be proud of....

Thanks DarkLimit,

Simple characters are cool sometimes, but those fish things of yours are damn good. I'm not going to be able to eat tuna fish sandwiches for a month.

Gregg

Hey Paul,

That's looking really good. I agree it is kind of cramped, but it should be usable. We can always stick one of the other cheeses in the background, I'm just worried about leaving enough room for the camera.

Is there room for a cheese or two between the two small tables closest to the camera and the bigger table in the back?

ZachBG is the one animating this scene, let's ask him what he thinks:

Zach you think there's enough room on this set for Mel on the table with the four other cheeses surrounding it?

Gregg

Hmmm. I think so, though it's tough to say based on the flythrough. My guess is that if Monterey Jack can fit in there, we should be OK with the rest.

Plus, we could always have them intersecting the small tables, as long as we watch the camera angles...?

Zach

Well, I fully intended to sit down this morning and find a rendered flythrough. To my surprise, I did not. I won't say that A:M crashed on the night on me... I'll just say that it was running when I left and not running when I came back. So, I'll try re-rendering (to targas this time) and I'll get it posted later on.

ZachBG: I think I'm nearly ready to hand this bad boy off. I've put little images on the screens around the scene, I made a grate-like texture for the floor, I re-arranged the tables to allow for more room and I put little squeeze bottles of ketchup and mustard on the tables (necessary condiments). Is there anything else you'd need me to model?

Like I said, check back later for the flythrough...

ZachBG: I think I'm nearly ready to hand this bad boy off. I've put little images on the screens around the scene, I made a grate-like texture for the floor, I re-arranged the tables to allow for more room and I put little squeeze bottles of ketchup and mustard on the tables (necessary condiments). Is there anything else you'd need me to model?

Oooh, ketchup squeeze bottles! That will create a great bit... that'll be a separate object, right?

I can't think of anything else. If something comes up while animating, I'll make a proxy prop and let you know.

Speaking of proxies, would it be possible to get a lo-res mockup of the set? Just walls and tables would be fine.

Call me Zach. No one calls be ZachBG except my mother. :D I mean...

Zach

The set is pretty low res. I'll make another version decal and material free and also minus the pipes and other small details. The bottles are definitely their own little models and can be manipulated easily. I'll get something packaged up and try and email it to you (or maybe put it on my ftp) later.

One more thing for Gregg... How attached are you to those Simbiont textures?

One more thing for Gregg... How attached are you to those Simbiont textures?

Not at all. Texturing is a nightmare for me so anything you guys come up with will probably be a lot better.

How about adding some plates, glasses and silverware for Mel to knock off when he collapses?

No problem on the dishes. I was just going to add some random stuff like that scattered around the tables.

I -might- try and see if I can get the effect we're going for using something renders a little faster than Simbiont.

Speaking of rendering, how are we going to tackle that?

Speaking of rendering, how are we going to tackle that?

Good question. I've got NetRender and two computers and that was about as far as I'd gotten on that. If everyone has fast connections you can try rendering your own scenes and then transferring the TGAs to the Cheese Wars website. Any other suggestions?

I'm done with the dictionary except for rigging, I'm thinking that some good smartskinnin would allow for good paper deformation, but I am utterly confused. I have 5 decals, all 24 bit Tga's. I'll zip them up and give you a url later (when I'm at home).

So some questions:

1) any suggestions for paper deformation (or am I even responsible for this?)

2) anything else you need modeled (or textured?)

Zackt.

So some questions:

1) any suggestions for paper deformation (or am I even responsible for this?)

2) anything else you need modeled (or textured?)

Hey Zack,

1) Don't worry about paper deformation. The dictionary should be able to open up to somewhere near the middle of the book. Mel will run his hand over the page, but won't turn any of them, so don't worry about any kind of extensive rigging or smartskin.

2) Yep. We're going to need a motion tracker, a gun and some other assorted gizmos. What do you feel like doing?

Gregg

I've also got netrender(10.5r) and two machines (maybe three if I take the dongle to work...).

Since I've never been a part of a group project like this, I don't know why we couldn't render out or individual scenes and then send you the targas. Does anyone have any comments on the pros or cons of that approach?

ZachBG (for clarity): I'll forward you the dining area set later this weekend. I'm thinking of replacing those darktrees with native textures to see if the render speed improves without losing the darktree quality. If I'm happy with it, then I'll send them along to anyone else that needs them.

All The flythrough I left rendering overnight again. I decided to render out a larger size so we could see the scene a little better, but then it took 3 hrs to render 1 second. The flythrough is 6 seconds. You do the math, but my math says I'll put it up on monday.

I'm having a lot of fun with this! Is anyone else having fun?

Just for everyone's info: I'm on a Mac, so if we use darktree I won't be helping with the rendering. Doesn't bother me, just FYI.

Also, maybe we should start a yahoo group or something (though I hate YG, I haven't researched alternatives). I'm loving the back & forth, but I wonder if the rest of the Hash forums are sick of us. :D And more importantly, I wonder if Gregg would want me posting pre-animations for the rest o' the world to see.

Gregg, whatcha think?

Zach

Also, maybe we should start a yahoo group or something (though I hate YG, I haven't researched alternatives). I'm loving the back & forth, but I wonder if the rest of the Hash forums are sick of us.

That's a great idea, Zach. I'll look into it.

Paul, the only problem I can see with everybody rendering out individual scenes and then sending me the TGAs is the sheer size of those kind of transfers. As long as people have fast enough connections and also don't mind tying up their computers on rendering then let's do it. Anyone who doesn't want to render can just send me the project files and be done with it.

And yes, this has been fun so far. Can't wait to see what else you guys come up with for the cheeses. I should have thought about this whole collaborative thing a few episodes ago.

• Admin

I haven't had time to contribute as I had promised... I'll try to make up for that now.

Is it okay to post bits of the script here? Is this supposed to be somewhat hush, hush?

Has anyone modeled the lightswitch yet. I'll do that!

... And should I be watching the movie for inspiration here? Any certain parts?

Has anyone modeled the lightswitch yet. I'll do that! <Raises hand>

Hey Rodney,

Just sent you an e-mail without checking the forum here first. Which lightswitch do you want to do, the one Earl hits in Scene 10? Sure you can do that. Would you like to do the electrical box in Scene 13 as well? You can be our resident key grip.

Gregg

Looks like my earlier post didn't make it, so let's try again:

We're moving most of the communication to a Yahoo Group to try and keep from spoiling the episode for everyone.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cheesewars/

Anyone who wants to work on it is welcome to join. We'll try posting some stuff here every now and then, just to keep people interested.

Thanks,

Gregg

• 2 months later...

Howdy fellow forumites,

We're moving along slowly but surely here at Cheese Wars headquarters. We'd like to be moving a lot faster, however, so we're here looking for some more help. We need a few more animators to help bring the new episode to life. It's a parody of the movie Aliens, so for all you sci-fi fans who have been looking for something to do, here's your chance.

Thanks,

Gregg