Hash, Inc. Forums

hahahah I had to use google translate to find the better word....

well.... I would flatten the tip of the nose.

sorry my poor english Robert.

• Hash Fellow
top view ...

I've always thought of it as more blunt too, like the Disney version...

300px-50893_112499_3.jpg

But the current "style" seems to be trending towards a very beak-like appearance.

Tyrannosaurus1140816313.jpg

But here's a very scholarly image I just found that is quite round at the snout...

Fig392.jpg

I should study this more, and will.

• Hash Fellow

update with proportion changes, deeper eye sockets, larger nostrils. Everyone puts tiny nostrils on these things but the hole in the skull for them is rather large.

Still looks like Gorn to me, however. :angry:

splinerex2.JPG

Really great splining! I would propably end up with ten times the amount of patches if I where to try something like this. I like the new proportions, however I feel the nostrils are a bit big now in my opinion, kind of made me think of Alf ;)

• Hash Fellow
Really great splining! I would propably end up with ten times the amount of patches if I where to try something like this.

thanks! This is pursuing my theory of "Contour Modeling" where I try to put splines only on the peaks and valleys of the shape and let the A:M patches fill the inbetween.

• Hash Fellow

Thanks, everyone!

Them's some mad skills Robert!

You know what bugs me? Why wasn't I doing this 12 years ago? I had A:M, it pretty much had everything you need to do this already... but I barely scratched it.

Why didn't I see the possibilities and pursue this newfangled 3D thing better?

I wonder how this would look if you used some high quality "realistic" looking maps. I bet it would look really nice.

there is a link in this thread above to a discussion that has some nice looking maps.... maybe give it a try.

• Hash Fellow
I wonder how this would look if you used some high quality "realistic" looking maps. I bet it would look really nice.

there is a link in this thread above to a discussion that has some nice looking maps.... maybe give it a try.

I'm sure it would look better. I looked in that Blender thread but I only saw a couple of images. There are great painted dinosaurs all over the web, but i need to learn to paint like that. Like... where's the right place to put wrinkles and where to put small scales where to put large ones and what are plausible color patterns...

I would say look at some lizards etc. for reference on that sort of thing.

Or as some others speculate - Look at birds for references (from the wiki ):

In the March 2005 issue of Science, Mary Higby Schweitzer of North Carolina State University and colleagues announced the recovery of soft tissue from the marrow cavity of a fossilized leg bone, from a Tyrannosaurus rex. The bone had been intentionally, though reluctantly, broken for shipping and then not preserved in the normal manner, specifically because Schweitzer was hoping to test it for soft tissue.[57] Designated as the Museum of the Rockies specimen 1125, or MOR 1125, the dinosaur was previously excavated from the Hell Creek Formation. Flexible, bifurcating blood vessels and fibrous but elastic bone matrix tissue were recognized. In addition, microstructures resembling blood cells were found inside the matrix and vessels. The structures bear resemblance to ostrich blood cells and vessels. Whether an unknown process, distinct from normal fossilization, preserved the material, or the material is original, the researchers do not know, and they are careful not to make any claims about preservation.[58] If it is found to be original material, any surviving proteins may be used as a means of indirectly guessing some of the DNA content of the dinosaurs involved, because each protein is typically created by a specific gene. The absence of previous finds may merely be the result of people assuming preserved tissue was impossible, therefore simply not looking. Since the first, two more tyrannosaurs and a hadrosaur have also been found to have such tissue-like structures.[57] Research on some of the tissues involved has suggested that birds are closer relatives to tyrannosaurs than other modern animals.[59]

In studies reported in the journal Science in April 2007, Asara and colleagues concluded that seven traces of collagen proteins detected in purified Tyrannosaurus rex bone most closely match those reported in chickens, followed by frogs and newts. The discovery of proteins from a creature tens of millions of years old, along with similar traces the team found in a mastodon bone at least 160,000 years old, upends the conventional view of fossils and may shift paleontologists' focus from bone hunting to biochemistry. Until these finds, most scientists presumed that fossilization replaced all living tissue with inert minerals. Paleontologist Hans Larsson of McGill University in Montreal, who was not part of the studies, called the finds "a milestone", and suggested that dinosaurs could "enter the field of molecular biology and really slingshot paleontology into the modern world".[60]

Subsequent studies in April 2008 confirmed the close connection of Tyrannosaurus rex to modern birds. Postdoctoral biology researcher Chris Organ at Harvard University announced, "With more data, they would probably be able to place T. rex on the evolutionary tree between alligators and chickens and ostriches." Co-author John M. Asara added, "We also show that it groups better with birds than modern reptiles, such as alligators and green anole lizards."[61]

With those short front legs, others have also speculated T-rex was an ancestor of birds. However, others dispute the methodology and analysis of the soft tissue

Goes without saying: your guess is as good as anyone else's.

800px_Young_Tyrannosaurus_rex_02.JPG

I'm sure it would look better. I looked in that Blender thread but I only saw a couple of images. There are great painted dinosaurs all over the web, but i need to learn to paint like that. Like... where's the right place to put wrinkles and where to put small scales where to put large ones and what are plausible color patterns...

well Im just talking about for sh$ts and Giggles just to see how it would look. not to use it as "your" final.

you know?

• Hash Fellow

Teeth added...

rexteeth.JPG

If you like stereoscopic 3D and have red-blue glasses or can cross your eyes, you can also see

The 3D button at the bottom of the Youtube player lets you choose your preferred 3D viewing format.