Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Switching to views not working

Greenhorn

I am not sure where the best place to post this so I am posting here since I am still learning AM.

I have AM v16.0b 64 bit. I'm running it on Windows 7 64bit. I have a Dell XPS 1702X with a 4Core i7-2760QM CPU and a dual graphics cards. The built in Intel Card and an NVIDIA Geforce GT 555M graphics card w 1GB RAM.

I have set the NVIDIA control panel to use the Graphics card when loading AM 64 bit. Other than that I have only the default NVIDIA settings.

While working on a model, it has happened 2 - 3 times now - the numpad keys wont work for switching views. Everything else seems to be working - other keys in AM seem to be working. The mouse ( I have a logitech trackball ) also seems to be working.

I tried the numpad keys in Excel just to make sure there's no systemic issue and there is no problem.

I can't imagine if this is bug in AM 64 or not. It certainly never happened on the AM v13 that I had installed before.

Has this happened to anyone? Any ideas on how to troubleshoot?

When this happens, I noticed that when I move the mouse around on the Windows desktop, it seems like the shift key is stuck. I tried clicking on the shift key several times to see if that gets rid of the issue - it doesnt. I don't think its an issue of "sticky keys" being turned on somehow.

I checked Dell's website to see if there was a new keyboard driver and there doesn't seem to be any update.

The tried rebooting the system and it worked once before, but that last time it didn't work immediately after I rebooted. However I ran AM a couple of times - changed projects etc. and then it started to work.

Hope this gives sufficient background. I just want to know if things like this should be posted on the FOrums or just go to the AM:Reports section?

Appreciate any guidance.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

you are really sure, that you didnt press the number lock-key by accident, right?

That one is often causing this... I highly doubt it is a problem in A:M (I can't preclude it totally of course, but it would be something everybody should be experiencing at a very early stage and I cant believe that it has not been found before...) Do you have any Function-keys on your keyboard that may have been pressed (often a blue F or something like that) I cant test it with exel, but maybe it is cleve enough to see the right inputs anyway...

See you

*Fuchur*

• Hash Fellow

My initial guess is like Fuchur's...maybe you hit the NUMLOCK key?... but in a desperate situation you can also right-click in the view window, choose "Views", then pick a view from the menu.

You can also do Tools>Customize>Tools and enable the "Views" toolbar to add onscreen icons for the view choices. They're kinda small and look a bit too similar, but they do give you an on-screen button in case your number pad was broken.

My initial guess is like Fuchur's...maybe you hit the NUMLOCK key?... but in a desperate situation you can also right-click in the view window, choose "Views", then pick a view from the menu.

You can also do Tools>Customize>Tools and enable the "Views" toolbar to add onscreen icons for the view choices. They're kinda small and look a bit too similar, but they do give you an on-screen button in case your number pad was broken.

Thanks to all for your responses. Not sure whether you prefer individual responses or not. I'm just responding to everyone's post in this one reply.

1) I did toggle on Numlock several times to see it was the issue. It didn't work when I was having the problem.

2) I did use the toolbar and right-click, but they're cumbersome. :)

3) Yes, I have a function key, and I tried pressing it several times to see if it was stuck in some crazy state.

4) Clicking on the view didn't help either.

I will continue to monitor. It could be a keyboard driver and Video driver conflict of some sort - brings back memories of driver/dll hell from the older versions of Windows. :)

If it happens again, is there any kind of data I could gather? Run a debug version of AM or something?

BTW, before I had this issue, I was having another issue with groups, the groups I was creating were getting screwed up so I went to NVIDIA and downloaded their latest driver for the Video card and that fixed the issue. My groups were all in good shape. So I'm thinking this may be a conflict with the NVIDIA video driver and the System keyboard driver and happens only when a series of unrelated steps are done. Usually a tough situation to troubleshoot remotely let alone physically on the system. So I really appreciate your help in answering.

BTW, I have OpenGL 4.2.0. It looks like the latest version out there. Is there something I can do to verify that I do have the latest OpenGL drivers?

Thanks again for your help.

Best Regards,

I have AM v16.0b 64 bit. I'm running it on Windows 7 64bit. I have a Dell XPS 1702X with a 4Core i7-2760QM CPU and a dual graphics cards. The built in Intel Card and an NVIDIA Geforce GT 555M graphics card w 1GB RAM.

I have set the NVIDIA control panel to use the Graphics card when loading AM 64 bit. Other than that I have only the default NVIDIA settings.

I tried the numpad keys in Excel just to make sure there's no systemic issue and there is no problem.

Not sure why you are using built in INTEL card with A:M, and NVidia card for other programs? Or did I misunderstand? Perhaps there is a conflict with INTEL card & A:M 64 (even tho it worked in ver13).

Not sure why you are using built in INTEL card with A:M, and NVidia card for other programs? Or did I misunderstand? Perhaps there is a conflict with INTEL card & A:M 64 (even tho it worked in ver13).

Actually I AM using the NVIDIA card for AM. Sorry if I miscommunicated. :)

• Hash Fellow

Extraordinarily remote possibility... the keyboard shortcuts for the views are gone.

Got to Tools>Customize>Keyboard and see if things like Top View and Front View have shortcuts listed. Remake them if they are not there, and if they are there try adding a shortcut to some other key just to see what happens.

Extraordinarily remote possibility... the keyboard shortcuts for the views are gone.

Got to Tools>Customize>Keyboard and see if things like Top View and Front View have shortcuts listed. Remake them if they are not there, and if they are there try adding a shortcut to some other key just to see what happens.

Thanks Robcat. Just checked the keyboard shortcuts are present.

For now the system is working. I will monitor and report back if it occurs again.

Thanks for your help and feedback.