robcat2075

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Hash Fellow
would you then wrap the cloth kernals around a mesh in the shape of a cob?

Haven't quite figured the cob thing out yet. :D

Perhaps one might use the dupe wizard to arrange them in a cylindrical form first

I did it brute force (copy paste, offset until I got one column, copy paste offset that , until got 4 columns, use distort, offset, make 1 quarter of cob, copy paste, flip for 4 qtrs).

However I didn't get the nice spiral growth pattern and I would probably use sweeper if I were to do it again (create spiral path, duplicate a kernal, copy result, offset, distort, etc)

Color variation was obtained by changing the surface color of the instance and % of the color decal of the cob model in the chor. I used the image of the glassgem corn for the decal, but I would also probably change the image so that the coloring would line up a bit better with the kernels on the cob model if I were to do it again. And I would close off the holes in the kernel.

6cornhusk0.png

cobwithdecals.jpg

• Hash Fellow
COOL! Hey Rob- I am interested in how you got that 1st image, matcap? Is there really a 2nd form inside the 1st one?

The image is a combination (done in an A:M Composite) of these two:

cornB.JPGCornC.JPG

The dark one has AO. For some reason I couldn't get either FakeAO or Real AO to get what I wanted so i tried combining two exposures. It's still not what I was aiming for. Then I blurred it by 2 pixels (also in A:M Composite)

There is indeed a 2nd form, the white "seed" of the kernel. That was the tricky part to try to reproduce from the original photo. I made it blurry by sweeping the Index of refraction of the outer surface over a multi-pass render. Without that, the unsatisfying result is like this:

CornNoIOR.JPG