Hash, Inc. Forums

Zeco

I had to put aside the project of "Trem do Pantanal" because it is a big project that requires more labor (modeler, animator etc etc). Meanwhile I began a more modest project, a short film called "Lau".

I present you, "Lau" the main character which gives the name of the short.

The rendering style is the same image below.

There will be 4 characters:

Lau

Baby Lau

character 1

dog

I'll concentrate all my efforts to complete this project later this year. And follow the schedule:

Concept

Modeling

Texture

Rig

Storyboard

Animatic

Animation

Render

Post production (sound effects, music, cuts etc etc)

I believe it will have around 2 minutes long

Comments are welcome, as always.

lau_wire.jpg

lau0.jpg

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah I like that rendering :) that's almost the look I'm trying to achieve hehe 'course I need some toon lines :yay: is all that hand painted textures? or just painted, they don't have to be hand painted ? muahaha

Thanks everybody for incentive ... I'll do my best in this short.

I am not quite sure about the knees you gave him... locks a little odd to me, but everything else: Very cool!

See you

*Fuchur*

Gerald, it was bothering me indeed. What about this new one ?

lau_2.jpg

Oh yeah I like that rendering :) that's almost the look I'm trying to achieve hehe 'course I need some toon lines :yay: is all that hand painted textures? or just painted, they don't have to be hand painted ? muahaha

Hi Ernest... Thanks for your comment, I used a skin material from DarkSim and the style was created using radiosity and a PS plugin (Magic Bullet)

Good personality, fun style! Looks like he might be a bit of an ol' grumpy?

I like the new legs. I've seen a variety of characters that don't have legs, arms, and it makes me think the animator was trying to skimp on rigging, weighting, posing, animating....ok...maybe, that's probably why I would do it.

• Hash Fellow

I'd have to say I don't think I've ever seen a knees-only leg on a character before.

It's a novel idea, but I'm wondering how one would handle that in animation and if it would be unnecessarily distracting to the audience.

well ... I will use the initial concept, no legs just knees.

the character 2 is "Liu" and was created remodelling Lau`splines.

lau_liu0.jpg

well ... I will use the initial concept, no legs just knees.
Saves on pesky CP weighting.

the character 2 is "Liu" and was created remodelling Lau`splines.
I think it was Groucho Marx that said he only steals from the best ... a time honored tradition, but in your case that would be yourself!

I'm doing some experiments with the final color ... well, the dog is done.

now sets and props, meanwhile I'll rig Lau to play with him.

4_characters.jpg

wonderful!

Thank you Nancy ....

now, main set .. Lau's house, it needs a lot of work yet

casa0.jpg

I liked this look the best... somehow I think that the look of the characters would be better in a dry arid looking environment like a mexican desert town instead of a lush green location...

I kind of agree with Mike Fitz, the color palette you've started on with the characters feels like it works against the lush greenery. Love the house though, especially the broken plaster effect on the front wall.

• 1 month later...

well friends .... thanks for vote in my image in the "anything goes" contest, here is it. As I said it needed more and best foliage ambient and they were my goal. I appreciate the tip about shingles ( Robert ). Another effect that I used was the particles, to simulate dust in the air, can you notice them ? I'm setting the best setup to animate these particles... any tip is welcome.

anything_10.jpg

the shingles are overlapping the wrong way on the left side of the roof. They'll be scooping in water instead of draining it off.

:ph34r:

good eyes...

Robert ...about particles... did they works for you ?

• Hash Fellow
the shingles are overlapping the wrong way on the left side of the roof. They'll be scooping in water instead of draining it off.

:ph34r:

good eyes...

I've been think alot about roofs lately.

Robert ...about particles... did they works for you ?

I saw some specks, I'm not sure they'd qualify as dust. They might look more like floating dandelion seeds or coton fuzz in the air.

Some plain old camera fog wouldn't hurt.

Another effect that I used was the particles, to simulate dust in the air, can you notice them ?

I did not notice the dust particles. I had a hard time seeing them, even after I was made aware that they were supposed to be there. What are the dust particles supposed to be from? Do you want wind-dust devil like trails? Are you wanting a general haze? Something else?

Great image. Love the textures on the house, fanciful shape of door, windows, fence. Interesting composition. Fun characters.

The texture on the roof tile is a bit confusing, maybe too busy, too regular? Is there hair also on the roof to suggest moss? I cannot tell.

I was surprised by the "square" shape leaf on the tree with yellow fruit (love the fruit). Is there a missing image for the hair emitter, or was that intentional?

Wonderful entry. Congrats!

• Developer

Sorry for hijacking this thread .

But's really important .

I need the winner entry from Xtaz for the mascot contest V17 , that I can build the V17 release version.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi friends.... Mark Skodacek ( mtpeak2 ) is working to rig the characters ... and he is doing a great great job with Squetch Rig, well Lau is done and here is the first test.

walk.mov

• Admin

VERY NICE!

I love the style.

Kudos to you and Mark!

(My only nitpick might be to make the knees slightly less spherical (?). They are so different to what we are use to seeing in CG characters (a good thing!) that my thought is to further downplay in some way. I admit that I'm not sure how to get that accomplished. I perceive that the audiences attention that will be on the stylistic knees (at least until the audience gets use to these characters) and an effort in almost every scene will need to be made to intentially redirect/point/focus the audience's attention to the face. This really isn't a crit but more of an general observation.)

Thank you friends !!!

I did some minor changes in the short..

the short is named " O Causo " now

and the main character is " Zeco "

I had to surrender to the demands of my wife :)