Hash, Inc. Forums

Toon Renderer or Renderer in General

ernesttx

Anyone having issues with rendering out images from within A:M 16 or 17beta 2? No matter what I am trying, it crashes 80% of the time. I have tried different settings, different models, different projects. I have tried png, exr, avi (of which I get a v16 error in v17??) so I have no other idea what it could be. And to top it all off, I was rendering several images just over the weekend and no problems. I have not installed any software between then and now. I have rebooted several times, ended unneeded tasks, etc. I'm at a loss. Just wondering if any known issues. Thanks in advance.

• Hash Fellow

Hmmm.... A:M itself hasn't changed and it worked before....

My first suggestion is to do Help>Reset all Settings. I don't think that will get you much but it's easy to try.

After that, uninstall and reinstall. Of course you will save your master0.lic file somewhere safe before hand.

yes installed to different folders. I've had v16 installed for a long time and no issues. But, I even had issues with v16 and trying to render. I'm wondering if it's a codec error, because I did get a weird avi error. I wish I had saved the screen capture. Maybe if I do it again and try rendering an avi. But I have 32 bit installed and it seems to be working much better. So, maybe re-install.

Well, 32 bit seemed to work better. But, different image codecs performed differently. jpeg seems to work, but png, exr, bmp causes crashing. Avi's give this error: AVIFileCreateStream error: and then Unable to save file [path URL]. so it makes me think it's a codec issue, but I have no idea how to check those. or where they would be. I've done reinstall of v17 32 and 64 bit hmmmm

Well, 32 bit seemed to work better. But, different image codecs performed differently. jpeg seems to work, but png, exr, bmp causes crashing. Avi's give this error: AVIFileCreateStream error: and then Unable to save file [path URL]. so it makes me think it's a codec issue, but I have no idea how to check those. or where they would be. I've done reinstall of v17 32 and 64 bit hmmmm

• Hash Fellow

Did the codec error say something about 16 bits? If that's it switch AVI to uncompressed. That's about the only AVI that works.

But you said even image sequences don't work. So it's not just AVI that is the problem.

yeah, 17 32 bit seems to be working with images and avi did not give me errors or crashes. but as soon as I fire up v17 beta 2 64 bit, and try to render, crash. hmmmmm maybe try to reinstall v16 64 bit next.

Ok just re-installed v16 64 bit and it seems more stable. I'm wondering now with the installs and re-installs, I kept noticing that the recent projects were coming up with the same files I had been working on. Is there a master type file that AM reads from that is somewhere else (maybe lHKEY_Current_User or something that tells it which files were recent)?? I'll keep an eye on things. Also, under HKEY_Current_User>Software>Hash, I still have registrations for v12, 13,16 and 17, AM Plugins. In AM Plugins, there are folders for AVI, JPEG, LWO, MDD HXT, OPENEXR, PNG, etc. would this folder be over written when installing v17 64 bit and cause errors with all versions? or does all versions read from that folder?? hmmmm

In the folder options in A:M, make sure it is looking in the right directory for your version of A:M. Installing both the 64bit and 32 bit versions, A:M sometimes gets confused as to where to look. This was an issue at one point, but not sure if it still is.

options.jpg

thanks mtpeak2, I checked all versions v16 64, v17 32 and 64 and all were pointing to the right folders. Ok still weirdness, I am in v17 64 bit and open a project and save it under another name, I then exit the program and then start v17 32 bit and check recent files opened and the original file and the newly saved file are both listed. Is this normal??

John, it is all projects, with varying render settings (image type, length, save folder, alpha/no alpha, Toon/no Toon, multipass/no multipass, etc.). Originally it was happening in v17 64, but then I tried v16 64 and it was happening there. I didn't even have v17 32 installed. So, that's what led me to codecs. But, there shouldn't be recent projects from another bit version listed in another version unless AM is reading from a master recent files file.

Ok, just checked HKEY_Current_User and there is only 1 folder per version (ie, 16 or 17) that has a recent project list. so that answers that 32 and 64 v 17 would read from the same file.

Ok, just checked HKEY_Current_User and there is only 1 folder per version (ie, 16 or 17) that has a recent project list. so that answers that 32 and 64 v 17 would read from the same file.

Please make sure to screencapture your problems / errors. otherwise we have hard time guessing here. And if Steffen needs to have a look at it it will be much easier for him too.

Nayway it sounds like a computer-specific or codec-problem to me.

You may want to uninstall A:M and reinstall it again, just in case.

See you

*Fuchur*

Ok, basically just removed everything in the Hash folder in HKEY_Current_User and re-installed v16 64 bit. It seems to be working fine now. So, I'll wait for v 17 final release hehe Now, could someone point me in the direction of being able to render a shadow pass. Everything I'm trying just produces black images. Trying to save EXR or PNG buffers for color, shadow, depth and alpha. Thx

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, basically just removed everything in the Hash folder in HKEY_Current_User and re-installed v16 64 bit. It seems to be working fine now. So, I'll wait for v 17 final release hehe Now, could someone point me in the direction of being able to render a shadow pass. Everything I'm trying just produces black images. Trying to save EXR or PNG buffers for color, shadow, depth and alpha. Thx

EXR has shadow-buffers and there is one with TGAs. It is normal that you get a black image with TGA. The buffer itfself is in the Alpha-Channel.

See you

*Fuchur*