Hash, Inc. Forums

Questions about mirror bones, mirror constraints and smartskin

Roger

• *A:M User*

Why would smartskins on my torso be affected by mirroring the leg bones on my penguin? I wouldn't think that would make any difference.

Also, if I mirror the right side leg bones to the left, do the constraints automatically mirror along w/ the bones or do I need to do that separately?

One other thing I'm concerned about - I noticed that my foot, along with the foot controls, did not mirror when I used mirrorbones.

I think it is because it was not a child of the calf. If I want all that to mirror, do I need to make those items a child of the calf and then drag them back to their original position in the hierarchy?

• Hash Fellow
One other thing I'm concerned about - I noticed that my foot, along with the foot controls, did not mirror when I used mirrorbones.

I think it is because it was not a child of the calf. If I want all that to mirror, do I need to make those items a child of the calf and then drag them back to their original position in the hierarchy?

The exact functionality of mirrorbones is a bit of a mystery to me too.

It may be useful to create a bone that is parent of everything to select when doing mirror bones if selecting the model bone does not fullfill this.

This is where saving a copy of your model before you do any mirrorbones and returning to it several times to try different experiments may be revealing.

• Hash Fellow
Yeah, I'm still messing around with it and made sure to save a copy. I have a feeling I'll need to play with it a bit.

I know it CAN work exactly right. I just don't recall what the specific magic spell involved is.