Hash, Inc. Forums

Cloud fly-thru

robcat2075

• Hash Fellow

Oh, to fly as an eagle, among the clouds...

From the Royal Council of Matt-Cambell-Said-It-Couldn't-Be-Done:

These are sprite particle clouds. There is a tiny bit of a "popping" problem that can probably be solved with some R&D. (john's suggestion to turn off the sprite emitter fixes most of it) I think the potential for effective cloudscapes in A:M is there.

cloudy_sm.gif

amclouds.gif

• Like 1
  • ____ 1

• Hash Fellow
nice Robert is cloud still being generated when popping occurs

OK, you made me do it. I turned off the sprite emitter for each cloud before the camera rolls. Revised movie above..

There is still a tiny bit of popping which I think comes from changing the angle of view of the sprite system. None of the sprites should be dying during this clip.

When I did the clouds for TWO I had a popping issue as well. The popping is the sprite when it's being emitted. What I did was to set the opacity at birth so it was transparent and gradually increased it til it was at the opacity I wanted.

The popping you see after you turn the sprite system off is the sprites that still need to be generated to fulfill the emission rate.

• Hash Fellow
The popping you see after you turn the sprite system off is the sprites that still need to be generated to fulfill the emission rate.

But if the emission rate is zero, what is it trying to fulfill?

• Hash Fellow
VERY COOL! You forgot to label this from the 'They said it could'nt be done, department'.

fixed!

I like that a lot... I had tried doing a similar type thing with your other clouds from the other day... this is a much better way, sprites.

One other problem with the "turbulence" cloud method is that you can't really "art direct" it, you have to take the clouds where it puts them. With the spites you can make the clouds anywhere you want and any shape you want.

But if the emission rate is zero, what is it trying to fulfill?

If the rate of emissions is 1000 and you turn it off, before it finished that 1000, I believe it will continue the emission until it is completed.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Hash Fellow
would you share the prj?

try this:

SpriteClouds07_emmitters_keyed_off.zip

-Remember the sprite needs to be painted to imitate the direction of light in your scene. You may need many sprites if clouds are seen at quite different angles.

-Sprites are not affected by "fog" so some other way will need to be contrived to make sprite clouds fade in the distance for a more realistic effect.

-the fps in this PRJ is set to 120. I was trying to to reduce the sprite popping by shooting fast and slowing the frames down to 24 fps. Mark's suggestion (above) to have sprites slowly fade-in at birth is likely a better solution.

-the "landscape" is just a quick placeholder I dashed out to serve the purpose.

-better clouds shapes will make more convincing clouds

-a better sprite would help a lot :)

Nice one! I still would like to get a ground haze effect for Nightcallers and I know it can be done but my experiments (such as they are) haven't let anywhere. It need to be more than just turning fog on and off but I'm at a loss. Maybe sprite emitters is the way.

• Hash Fellow
Nice one! I still would like to get a ground haze effect for Nightcallers and I know it can be done but my experiments (such as they are) haven't let anywhere. It need to be more than just turning fog on and off but I'm at a loss. Maybe sprite emitters is the way.

How about Steam? I don't know much about Volumetric effects, but they're sitting there waiting for someone to use them...

Steam02_v17.prj

Steam.jpg

• 6 years later...