Hash, Inc. Forums

New HiRes option for SimCloth

• Hash Fellow

From the new v17beta 02 ..

plugin simcloth

added option "HiRes Simulation" for the simcloth choregraphie properties with this option the simulation has more time to fix intersections and collisions so they will give a more precise result, but of course the simulation is slower

This should be huge for cloth users.

Steffen has added an option that somehow makes work a strategy that I've tried before with only slight success... drastically upping the number of time subdivisions that SimCloth uses.

ClothHiRes.JPG

HiRes ON temporarily increases the frame rate x 10 while the simulation is running. If you have Sub Steps set to 3, Sim cloth will now calculate the cloth's motion through 30 steps per frame instead of 3. The Cloth moves less per step, giving A:M more chance deflect CPs before they become unsolvable intersections.

In theory just setting Sub Steps to a 10x higher number should have the same result, but in practice HiRes has more success.

In one test I tried Sub Steps set to 300 and HiRes OFF did not get as far before failing as setting SubSteps to 30 with HiRes ON.

It IS slower to run a simulation with HiRes ON but one successful slow simulation gets you your goal while several fast simulations that fail will not.

Cloth can still fail in long shots for no obvious reason and will certainly fail when impossible situations have been created, but I think this HiRes option will be of great benefit for most endeavors

• Hash Fellow

Since it's not widely understood, I'll note that "Adaptive Subdivisions" is the number of times Sim Cloth will double the SubSteps number if it has encountered an intersection.

For Example: If SubSteps is set to 10 and Adaptive Subdivisions is set to 4, SimCloth will try 10 steps first, then 20, then 40, then 80, then 160

If it reaches the limit and still has an intersection, SimCloth will continue on to the next frame anyway, but once an intersection has happened things usually go bad pretty fast, the "collision"count escalates and the simulation may start sending the cloth in all sorts of crazy directions.

• Hash Fellow
Anyone who gets a chance to try her out... would love to see results or hear about it.

Here's a comparison of the results with my pants test with 300 Substeps, HiRes OFF vs. 30 Substeps, HiRes ON

Walk300SubStepsHiResOFF.mov

Walk30SubStepsHiResON.mov

They both have the same number of SubSteps per frame and should have similar success, but the HiRes OFF version has begun to fail after just a few seconds. Both the left and right pant legs have caught on the feet and are beginning to explode.

The HiRes ON version sails through.