Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Fixing penguin rigging

Roger

• *A:M User*

This is for Robcat, if you're out there anywhere.

I'm working on cleaning up the rigging on my penguin so I can hopefully finally start doing some test animations with her.

The one ring in that model, the one between the ring that makes up the beginning of the neck and the one that makes up the shoulders, would I benefit from removing that completely?

It is not really a critical ring but more a leftover from my modeling process. I'm not sure it needs to be there, I guess I can try removing it and see what happens.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would probably be Penguin - rigging in progress or something like that. Here is a screenshot with the area I'm talking about circled.

Another thing that has me confused is I'm looking through my relationships, I have a pose slider called Leg_Constraints_New but no relationship named that.

Well, scratch that. It shows up under User Properties Relationships. Is that where it is supposed to be? When I am adding those floating fan bones to help smooth out the leg movement, is that the relationship I should be editing?

Penguin_screenshot.jpg

One thing that has me confused, I've added the hip fan bone and set up the constraints for it, but it doesn't look like the spline ring is moving correctly with the leg.

• Hash Fellow

-Possibly it is not truly attached?

-The pose is not ON in the action you are testing the constraint in?

-I sometimes find that last constraint I add doesn't take effect until I force a save on the model.

-other possibilities

I'll have to check it again. The leg constraints pose is on and I'm pretty sure I attached the CPs on that ring but maybe I missed something.

Ok, I've checked: leg constraints are turned on. The CPs that make up that ring are assigned to the Right Hip fan bone. Saved the file to see if I could force an update. When I move the leg, the upper portion of the hip does not move with the rest of the leg.

What is odd, though, is I know I added the constraints for the Right Hip fan bone, but when I expand the folder for Relationships they are nowhere to be found.

I have no clue how that happened, so I guess I have to redo them.

relationships.jpg

Huzzah!

Well, I don't know what happened to the constraints I added earlier but I put them back in and now the hip is moving like it should.

I wonder - Robcat, is it possible to add a constraint only within a specific action instead of in the Relationship, and then that might be why it wasn't there? If so, that may be what I did.

• Hash Fellow
Huzzah!

Well, I don't know what happened to the constraints I added earlier but I put them back in and now the hip is moving like it should.

I wonder - Robcat, is it possible to add a constraint only within a specific action instead of in the Relationship, and then that might be why it wasn't there? If so, that may be what I did.

That has happened to me. When you are editing a pose there is also a temporary action created in the actions folder. Under some circumstances it seems a constraint may end up in the Action only and not in the Pose. Probably a bug, but an elusive one to duplicate.

Huzzah!

That has happened to me. When you are editing a pose there is also a temporary action created in the actions folder. Under some circumstances it seems a constraint may end up in the Action only and not in the Pose. Probably a bug, but an elusive one to duplicate.

Ok, well I'm glad I'm not losing my mind at any rate :)

I'm pretty sure this happened once before, and I was looking for the constraints I created and couldn't find them.

• Hash Fellow
The one ring in that model, the one between the ring that makes up the beginning of the neck and the one that makes up the shoulders, would I benefit from removing that completely?

It is not really a critical ring but more a leftover from my modeling process. I'm not sure it needs to be there, I guess I can try removing it and see what happens.

If you can remove it and are satisfied with the shape that's left, do it. But shapes are subtle things, sometimes.

I used the mirrorbones plugin to mirror the leg bones, and it seems to have worked, only problem is it screwed up the smartskin I had set up for the torso, so I'll need to redo that.

Also, the foot did not mirror, I figure I'm going to have to do one of two things, either manually copy it over or make ita child of the leg temporarily and then mirror. Currently the right foot is a child

of the root bone.

I'm still working on fixing my penguin rigging - if I have the roll handle for the hip fan bone facing back and the roll handles for the thigh and calf bones facing forward, is that going to cause problems? If so, then I may have to do this all over again.

• Hash Fellow

Did you get the mirror problem solved?

I'm still working on fixing my penguin rigging - if I have the roll handle for the hip fan bone facing back and the roll handles for the thigh and calf bones facing forward, is that going to cause problems?

Generally, fanbones don't care too much about that. But drop the character in a chor and do a quick torture test to see.

• 1 month later...

So I am bound and determined to get this penguin done today, so I can work on rigging the dragon tomorrow and the next two days.

Would one way to handle mirroring my bones and constraints be to get everything set up properly on one side, delete half the model and then copy/flip/attach?

It seems like that might be easier (in this particular instance). I'm going to give it a try, I guess I can always go back to a previous save if it doesn't work.

Ok, it looks like I got my answer to my question, CFA is not going to work with bones, just geometry.

I guess the easiest thing to do, since that leg is already properly set up except for the hip fan bone, is just do the hip fan bone over on the left. It's only a couple constraints so it shouldn't be that big a deal.

To mirror the bones, you can use the MirrorBone plugin. While in Bones Mode, select the parent bone of whatever you want to mirror, right mouse click and select "Plug-ins/Wizards/MirrorBone". Make sure the "exclude startbone" is checked if you don't want the parent mirrored. All of the bones must have some form of "right" or "left" in their name, the center bones must be at "0" on the "X" axis, etc.

For mirroring the constraints, in the PWS, select the model, right mouse click, select "Plug-ins/Wizards/MirrorConstraints"...they also need some form of "right" or "left" in their name.

Hope that helps, Roger.

So, if the parent of Hip Fan Right is the pelvis, if I select the pelvis and then mirror it, won't I get everything that is child of the pelvis? I really just need to mirror that one fan bone, and its constraints, since the leg is already set up correctly. I don't think there are any other bones that are direct children of the pelvis, though.

So, if the parent of Hip Fan Right is the pelvis, if I select the pelvis and then mirror it, won't I get everything that is child of the pelvis? I really just need to mirror that one fan bone, and its constraints, since the leg is already set up correctly. I don't think there are any other bones that are direct children of the pelvis, though.

If you select a single bone with no children, the MirrorBone plugin will just mirror that bone...but don't check that box to exclude the startbone.

Smartskin seems to have mirrored, as well as the leg constraints for the left leg. The CP weighting has not mirrored properly, though. Is that normal?

Smartskin seems to have mirrored, as well as the leg constraints for the left leg. The CP weighting has not mirrored properly, though. Is that normal?

The MirrorBone plugin will mirror the CP Weighting, but you might have to adjust the "use tolerance for CP positioning" setting...I generally use it set at ".01". You might have to use a higher number depending on how mirrored your geometry is.

If I am trying to re-weight a ring between two bones that didn't mirror properly, is there a reason that instead of having Left calf and Left thigh, one bone would change names so that you have two of the same bone? And if I attempt to change the 2nd Left calf bone to Left thigh instead, it deletes the 2nd bone entirely?

If I am trying to re-weight a ring between two bones that didn't mirror properly, is there a reason that instead of having Left calf and Left thigh, one bone would change names so that you have two of the same bone? And if I attempt to change the 2nd Left calf bone to Left thigh instead, it deletes the 2nd bone entirely?

I can't explain that one, Roger. You shouldn't have had a bone mirror incorrectly...I'm not sure what you did to get that. Did you run the plugin multiple times without deleting a previous mirroring or something? After you've run the plugin, the best thing to do is to save your model (under a new name for safety), close A:M and then restart the program...that will make sure you're not getting anything strange from leftover processes.

Hope that helps.

• Hash Fellow

I'm sure there IS a reason, but without seeing you do it and without knowing more about the model... shrug.gif

Well, I was able to mirror the hip fan bone successfully, somehow messed up the smartskin so I think I'll have to try it again.

For some reason the point weighting on the lower leg got screwed up, so I'll need to redo that. At least this makes a bit more sense.