Hash, Inc. Forums

Film strip follow path - confused

InsanitySurplus

I am trying to get a piece of film to fly in from off camera. I have a path setup in the choreography and have constrained the model to the path. Only the model refuses to bend with the path, instead the whole model moves about the path as one.

The short end of it is look at the home page for animation master, the strip of film in the upper left corner of the page is similar to what I want the piece of film (model) to do, but instead of modeling the entire strip, I want one small piece of the film to bend and fold as it runs along the path.

suggestions?

• Hash Fellow

It can be done.

Model your film as a strip of patches with one patch per "Frame". Use transparency decals to create the sprocket holes.

Add bones in a long row along the length of the strip with one bone for each crossing spline. No bone should be a child of any other bone.

Path Constrain each bone to your path and offset their "ease" setting so they follow one another.

that's a bare explanation of the concept.

An alternative strategy would be to model the entire film path as a long strip of film and use an animated decal or material to progressively reveal more of the strip so it appears to be moving.

• Hash Fellow
An alternative strategy would be to model the entire film path as a long strip of film and use an animated decal or material to progressively reveal more of the strip so it appears to be moving.

After a bit of investigation, I think this is the more likely of the two strategies.

It's not hard to get a series of bones to follow each other on a path, but controlling their "roll" is a bit of a problem.

Here's a quickie just to see if I knew what I was talking about. This sheet has four cross splines, each with a bone. They're parented but as Robert says that probably isn't necessary. Look at the path constraints in the .prj, each one is 5% ahead of the next, both at the start and at the end. This is quick and dirty, I didn't mess with the roll, but see if it's what you're trying to do.

sheetOnPath.mov

SheetOnPath.prj