Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Installing Lite Rig

Roger

• *A:M User*

So I'm trying to install the Lite Rig in my dragon model, the PDF says to position the model before moving the bones. I have the model selected (all the CPs are flashing yellow) but when I try to translate it the bones move instead.

I must be doing something wrong but I'm not sure what.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So I'm trying to install the Lite Rig in my dragon model, the PDF says to position the model before moving the bones. I have the model selected (all the CPs are flashing yellow) but when I try to translate it the bones move instead.

I must be doing something wrong but I'm not sure what.

Hi Roger, it sounds like you're in "Bones" mode in a modeling window. Hit F5 to switch back to "Modeling" mode in the same window and you can move the model cp's. In "Bones" mode (F6) you can move and create bones and assign cp's to them. But you can't move cp's in "Bones" mode.

Hope that helps. Post a screen shot if you're still having probs.

In "Bones" mode (F6) you can move and create bones and assign cp's to them. But you can't move cp's in "Bones" mode.

Ah, but you can grasshopper!

If you have assigned cps to a bone, and you are in bones mode, hit ctrl + either translate or scale manipulator and the cps will also move. If the cp is weighted less than 100% to the bone, it won't move

If you use the translate manipulator - then only the bone (and it's children) will move without the cps (EDITED for bad info)

If you just use the standard mode manipulator, then only the bone will move without it's children.

movebonescps.jpg

Edited by NancyGormezano

I think it may be easier for me to delete one half of the bones (like the left half), position them, and then use the mirror bones plug-in to create the other side. Any reason this wouldn't work?

Also, is there any way to do a group selection on several bones and move them all at once? I find I'm having a hard time getting the bones back in their original positions after moving them,

and am concerned that will be a problem.

I think it may be easier for me to delete one half of the bones (like the left half), position them, and then use the mirror bones plug-in to create the other side. Any reason this wouldn't work?

Also, is there any way to do a group selection on several bones and move them all at once? I find I'm having a hard time getting the bones back in their original positions after moving them,

and am concerned that will be a problem.

Best thing is to try it and see what happens - obviously SAVE your model before you try. For me, that's the best way to learn.

As for moving bones

If you use the translate manipulator - then only the bone (and it's children) will move without the cps

If you just use the standard mode manipulator, then only the bone will move, without it's children.

I don't think you can move a whole bunch of bones if they are not in the same hierarchy.

If you are having trouble moving them, it might be because the rotation of the parent bone and the view from which you are trying to move them are not making it easy for you

I'm not sure the LiteRig is the best rig to install into a dragon. A dragon is more like a quadruped and the basic LiteRig is designed for humanoid type characters. Unfortunately, the only alternative that I'm aware of (aside from creating your own ) is the quadruped option in The Setup Machine. Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Well, this particular dragon is bipedal. No quad legs. I thought about using Setup Machine to rig him, might not be a bad idea as the character has a tail, but I thought perhaps I would rig that separately.