Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Call to Arms - Definitely

fae_alba

Look over the requirements for this festival Trofest - NY

The timeline is short short short. But then again the length of the short is also short (no more than 7 minutes including the credits). What I'd like to do is put together the short that Holmes Bryant and i had been working on for Pappa Bear Studios (the virtual studio project we started last summer) called "Alter Ego" This was to be a mix of live and A:M generated animation. It could be done, if I could muster the talent to expedite the project. I would cover the costs of the submission, etc. Everyone involved may get some claim to fame.

While I know it is short timing, but what the hell, why not?? If you're interested speak up. If I feel I can muster enough folks here to put together a quality piece, I will submit our interest. If not, ok.

(Holmes, are you still in??)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it. I could see it being done without the dialog, and relying on good acting/pantomime.

2 months might be short for high quality polished animation, but could be cranked out by a focused, dedicated effort, even by 1 experienced person, starting NOW.

Just noticed: I was imagining it as wholly animated. But you were thinking of it as a mix of live action & animated, and that you have already started it? What do you have so far?

I like it. I could see it being done without the dialog, and relying on good acting/pantomime.

2 months might be short for high quality polished animation, but could be cranked out by a focused, dedicated effort, even by 1 experienced person, starting NOW.

Just noticed: I was imagining it as wholly animated. But you were thinking of it as a mix of live action & animated, and that you have already started it? What do you have so far?

I'm going to cut some footage of the live action this weekend. If all goes well, hopefully I'll be able to provide the whole skit by Sunday. One question, since while I've always wanted to marry live footage to animated, but never have, what are the things I should be looking for and providing? The camera will always be mounted and still, but what else? Also the requirements are for a 16:9 ratio format if the short is selected as a finalist, should I shoot it at that ratio, or should we do that in post?

Unfortunately, I will not be able to help out on this. I am busy packing up the house and will be moving to New Mexico some time in April.

Holmes, that's too bad. But you'll still be listed in the credits as a creator.

• Admin

In reading the script (quickly... I didn't thoroughly examine it) I'm inclined to agree with Robert about it's technical difficulty but that would be mostly if it is approached from the perspective of Live Action and CG. I think to really pull it off you'd need to break down the script into three technical areas: Live Action, hand drawn animation and CG. The most technical part of the whole thing would be matching the three sections up and blending them seamlessly into one another.

I think it's very doable in two months but it'll be tough if you have to rely on too much research and development to get the look and feel right. Keep in mind that you'll need to reserve a good part of the time at the end to make sure you get everything submitted on time and so don't want to work all the way up until the deadline.

I wish I was in a place to offer my assistance but this fall right in the middle of relocation for me (kinda wish I was moving to a warm locale like Holmes is!).

Some assumptions:

You expect to be able to produce all of the live action yourself?

You may be the one drawing the initial sketches on paper? (If drawing the bridging sequence between live action and CG can be schedule toward late March... I might be able to commit to that... and draw while disconnected in the interim. It'd be ideal to have access to the last image of the first segment and the first image of last segment)

A call will go out to assist with rendering the whole thing?

I wonder... will motion tracking be useful? Would it help speed up things?

(I need to go back and read what you've written thus far in this topic)

One question, since while I've always wanted to marry live footage to animated, but never have, what are the things I should be looking for and providing? The camera will always be mounted and still, but what else? Also the requirements are for a 16:9 ratio format if the short is selected as a finalist, should I shoot it at that ratio, or should we do that in post?

I'm no expert here but given the schedule anything you can do to speed the conversion process into the required format will be ideal.

Even if shot at that ratio the final format will need to be rechecked.

I say go for it.

If nothing else it'll be a great test of your production capability.

While there are some technical hurdles to overcome they appear to be fairly straightforward.

OK, so I've bitten the bullet, and sent in the email notifying the festival of my intent to submit a short. Alter Ego it is. The one thing to note right up front, is that anyone who wants to help needs to sign a release to their rights to the short. If the short is not chosen as a finalist I will select to grant the festival non-exclusive rights, giving them the option to show it on their youtube channel and myself the rights to show it elsewhere. Up to the selection date of June 24, the short cannot be shown in any public forum, including here.

I'm going over the script one more time, trying to get it to the point where the amount of cg and live action is to a minimum. The bulk of cg work will be restricted to a normal full screen, on the artist pad, with only a second or two of live action mixed in (trying to erase Alter Ego as he trashes my great work of "art").

Animatics next, then recording live action. The big help I'll need is in the cg assets. I have a character that I had done many many moons ago for Alter Ego. But he needs re-rigging. Bringing to life the statue, into a bikini beach babe (sorry if that sounds overly chauvinistic, not meant to be), is also a need, as well as the beach surf, and a few seagulls.

If there is still interest, chime in for a final roll call.