Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Version 16.0 and 16.0a

Gerry

I'm currently running 16.0a on my office pc and 16.0 on the Mac at home and the one difference I've noticed is that the Mac version render times run rings around the pc version. Last week I was rendering a shot from "Nightcallers" that I started at the office but it was averaging five and a half to six minutes per frame, so I cancelled it and continued on the Mac when I got home. There the very same frames were rendering at a minute and a half.

So I'm left to wonder if it's the platform or some crucial difference between 16.0 and 16.0a.

AM_BothVersions.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

v16.0b is the most recent release, but the hardware in the computer will have the influence on performance.

What do the PC and Mac have in them?

The PC (Dell Precision 670 running Windows XP Pro) has a Xeon 2.80Ghz CPU, 2GB of RAM, Nvidia Quadro FX 3450/4000 SDI (graphics card?). It's also six-plus years old and has been getting pokey the last couple years.

The Mac is a 2-1/2 year old iMac that I maxed out when I bought it but I don't know the specs at the moment. Fastest processor and graphics card and 4GB of ram I think.

But the difference is so dramatic it seems like it's more than hardware and I wondered if there was some difference in the versions. So 16.0b is newer than 16.0, or is it the other way around?