Hash, Inc. Forums

A way to rotate an object where you just input the # of rotations...

rusty

Hi,

It's an old long lost AM'er... me again. I once saw how to rotate a wheel in an old SIGGRAPH video where all you did was enter the number of rotations (at least that's how I remember it... how fast... don't know??). Anyone remember something like this? It's very cool and if I find out again I'm going to document it so I don't forget it again!

Cheers,

Rusty

The Mufoof stuff is also on one of the Extra's DVD's. I think in the tutorial section somewhere.

Great stuff by the way. It is a really good "go to" for airplane props/ etc.

ALSO....for wheels on the ground, there is a formula to calculate the rotation to distance ratio. A long time

ago there was a tutorial on this also but I'm not sure where that one is.

Rusty....

You may be thinking of the channel switch.... The rotation channel must be switched to Euler so that when you go beyond 100% it doesn't go back to 01, 02, 03, etc.

Instead, when in the Euler mode the digits keep moving up 100, 101, 102,.........302.......4,500..... etc. This extends the rotation range beyond 1 single loop.

William

Hi Rusty ....

the simplest way is to use an expression.. I tried demonstrate this method in the tutorial below

Rusty.mp4

Totally F'ing AWESOME!! Xtaz, thank you so much for the trouble you went to. If I new more about the random function (I'm sure such a fuction exists) I could get all the asteroids spinning at different speeds... even in a flock I think.

I have to check out all your tuts.

Cheers,

Rusty

Did you get it turning right, Rusty?

Thanks for asking! Funny... I posted exactly what I was doing... with pictures and a video but... not there???? Anyway, no... but the expression suggested should fix it up. I'm about to self publish my book and while it's getting yet another proof I decided to put together a short trailer. That's what this is all about.

BTW, I totally planned to upgrade now that it seems Netrender is back (I'm still on V14 so I can use the unlimited Netrender we had back then with all the damn PCs I bought) but... my daughter's returned to college which means... we are suddenly like so broke until next year. :-(

Rusty

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Admin

BUMP

Because... occasionally this forum's autosubscription notification (yes, the one that keeps working even though no one has subscribed to anything)... occasionally... it points to something of value.

In this case it would be Marcos's video tutorial explaining how to use expressions to rotate an object relative to current screen time.

Direct link to the video (also seen above)

Thanks Marcos!