Hash, Inc. Forums

Model Bones

AM automatically assigns a model bone when you make a model. Is there a way to scale it in proportion to the model itself rather than accept the default size ?

I have tried to change the size under properties but, although the new figures are accepted in the dialogue box, the apparent scale does not change in the view window. ?

I ask because, when in an action or chor window and I zoom to fit the model using ctrl,shift, Z it zooms to include the model bone rather than just the model itself ?

regards

simon

Imac/OSX 10.68/ AM16

Simmon,'

So I opened one of my models and went into bones mode......Clicked in the outer space which selected the infamous "Black" model bone. Then I went to "Translate" mode('N' Key)....... Grabbed the handle and scaled the bone down. It seemed to scale fine. However....I already had bones/ rigg set up....so it scaled all those down as well.

Didn't impact the mesh though.

William

• Hash Fellow

You just want to change the size of the model bone as it appears in relation to the rest of the model and you're not trying to scale the entire model to some other size?

"Length" is what you want to change.

It's under "Bone Position" in the model's properties.

Thank You both for your replies.

I am working on some lip synch but had a look and followed your suggestions.

The model is 1metre 83cm in the window ( trying for life scale ) and the root bone was 7 metres 15 cm ( nearly four times the length !).

I selected the root and opened up the size dialogue in properties, changing it to 30cm. It seems to have worked this time whereas it didn't before (?).

It doesn't appear to have affected the rig as yet but I will find out shortly when I test the animation again.

Thank you very much for your help.

regards

simon

Rob

Thank you. You replied as I was typing my response to Detbear and pixel plucker.

Co incidentally, I had noticed your interest in 2D and had tried to send you a message about some I was recently introduced to.

http://vimeo.com/33211636

This bloke is a french 2D animator living in Denmark. He worked on a project were he did 12 drawings a day for three years using used A4 paper. You might like the result?

Pardon me if I have posted this inappropriately.

regards

simon

Wow, that's some wild animation! Thanks for the link, Simon.

Gerry

I looked at the link you mentioned elsewhere about Music in animation. Have you ever seen the work of Len Terry ( I think that was the name ? might have been Len Lye ? ) Who did work for the British Post Office ( GPO ) around the second World War ? It was all set to music but used abstract colour shapes and rhythm's. The work of Norman McClaren for the film board of Canada was quite influential as well in the use of sound. He drew direct onto the film stock with a sharpened tool and then scratched on the magnetic strip at the side to create the sound forms.

Simon

Ps

I read somewhere recently that the old Tom and Jerry cartoons were always drawn on 8's because that helped with the timing of the music...

• Hash Fellow
Rob

Thank you. You replied as I was typing my response to Detbear and pixel plucker.

Co incidentally, I had noticed your interest in 2D and had tried to send you a message about some I was recently introduced to.

http://vimeo.com/33211636

This bloke is a french 2D animator living in Denmark. He worked on a project were he did 12 drawings a day for three years using used A4 paper. You might like the result?

Pardon me if I have posted this inappropriately.

regards

simon

Cool! Reminiscent of Bill Plympton's animation.

Cool! Reminiscent of Bill Plympton's animation.

Its a development in a way of the Paul Klee description of his approach to drawing as "taking a line for a walk"

I was thinking about it as I was going to bed last night ( not a good idea). There was obviously a fair bit of editing in the final version. As a second a day for three years works out to 18 mins 15 seconds (?) and it was a bit shorter than that. Not that it detracts from the result at all.

I was impressed by the work and the method and might try to use it on an idea I've been working on for a while. If I can get myself organised enough of course!

simon