Hash, Inc. Forums

non-smooth hair color gradients

• Hash Fellow
I've never considered doing hair color that way! Will have to update my notes :)

Being able to change the color along the length is useful for things like blonde hair that starts out with dark roots and certain animal hair that has very complicated color transitions on a single hair. Perhaps useful for some bird feathers too.

Being able to change the color along the length is useful for things like blonde hair that starts out with dark roots and certain animal hair that has very complicated color transitions on a single hair. Perhaps useful for some bird feathers too.

If you really want to do complicated patterns for bird feathers, or animal fur, it is easiest to use an image for the emitter, along with a decal driving the diffuse color of the emitter, for even more variation. There are no limitations in coloring, nor shapes. I wouldn't bother with the gradient.

This was done in 16b. 16b has some funnies, that were not present in 15e. In 15, one could combine emitter surface properties plus the group surface properties plus decals correctly (I never used gradients). In 16 there is something screwy (inconsistent) when changing those properties - sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Very frustrating. Especially when trying to change specular color.

I cannot recreate some things that I did in 15 for hair, models in Scarecrow of Oz, using hair materials created in 15. Not sure if I would be able to if I redid the hair material in 16b - but I'm not about to do that.

I would hate to see hair change again. I'm sure something new would get broken.

I have documented my steps here

16bhairemittercompare.jpg

16bhairemitterfunnies.jpg

Edited by NancyGormezano