Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Fixing stuff

agep

I am no handyman. Give me a hammer or any kind of powertools, and I have no clue what to do with them. However, give me a broken PC and I can fix it!

So when people ask me if I can 3D print them some parts they are missing I usually take upon thchallengege, because that means I can use Animation:Master to fix real world stuff :)

In this case someone was missing one of the brackets for their baby safety gate

Here is the one bracket they have:

original_bracket.jpg

Missing bracket:

missing_bracket.jpg

Using a slide caliper and the original bracket I was able to recreate it in A:M fairly easily:

The bottom right version shows it with support material. The bracket got printed in standing position, and due to the overhang it needed some support. The support was just a single wall outline that was easy to remove once printed

bracket_3d.jpg

After a few testprints and adjustments the final piece was ready. The print took approximately 30 minutes. It is printed in ABS plastic which is the same plastic Legos are made of. Original bracket to the left:

bracket_print_01.JPG

bracket_print_02.JPG

bracket_print_03.JPG

The printed bracket fitted to the safety gate:

printed_bracket.jpg

I spent most of the evening making the part, which they probably could have gotten for free just by sending the manufacturer an e-mail since the part was missing on arrival. But for me this was just a fun challenge

Best regards

Stian

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very cool :).

Was a lot of meassuring involved?

See you

*Fuchur*

The slide caliper sure made it easier than just eyeballing it. I probably spent 45 minutes on the 3D model. I only had access to the bracket, not the safety gate itself

Brilliant real-world use for this amazing technology. I know it may seem like a small, common item but that's what makes up most of the world! Thanks for sharing this, Stian!

EDIT: Hey Stian, I noticed that the AM model was not beveled, and knowing that you are a beveling maniac I wondered if this is a requirement of the printing technology or your particular printer.

Do you have the MK7 or are you still using the mk6.

I believe I am still on MK6. I got my Makerbot Thing-O-Matic pretty early so I have the DC version

I think that is the MK5. The MK6 has the high torque stepper motor. I have both the MK6 and a MK7. I am still using the MK6 until the 3mm filament runs out. But I plan on getting a second MK7 so I can us the support option. :)

Did you ever put on one of the changeable plat form carriages so you can use the ABP and HBP?

Hey Daniel, can you post some pics of your setup and maybe some stuff you make? I find this whole technology really incredible, I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I had the time and space for it.

Here one to check out. B)

http://www.wired.com/cs/promo/mercedes-ben...mple-3d-printer

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:16990

http://printrbot.com/

6354640187_2e3ded511e_b_preview_large.jpg

I don’t know if it include everything you need but the filament but starting at 550$ you can’t beat the price.

You will need to assemble it yourself. It comes in a kit.

For space your on your own. But they are not to big. Mine is sitting on a milk crate in my bed room. Since I needed the computer to run it.