Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Smoking

Ilidrake

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The benefits will be well worth the effort.

Congratulations and more power to you.

I hope you will be able to do it... it will really give you a much better feeling and while the costs are very likely a little less than here in Germany,

your wallet will be filled better than before :).

Hope you can do it! For you, your health and all the people around you :).

See you

*Fuchur*

• Admin
these days it's as much about the expense as anything else.

When I was younger I tried to smoke but it just in me.

The main reason I didn't initially pursue smoking is that I was collecting comic books and there was a choice I had to make, buy comic books or buy cigarettes. Given my interest in comic books one might think this would be an easy decision for me but at the time I had a view of myself as an artist with a pencil in one hand and a cigarette in the other that was pretty hard to shake. So I started looking for every possible excuse I could find to quit the habit before it settled in.

It certainly didn't help that my best friend smoked and by just being around him you can bet I was smoking even though I never put a cigarette to my lips. There's something addicting... intoxicating about talking to people through that foggy, smelly haze. The atmospherics alone convinced me we were exploring the mysteries of time and space in those days.

The first excuse I came up with was that the nature of disappearing cigarettes left me with nothing at the end of the day. So the temporary nature of smoking wasn't as important as adding new comic books to my collection each day.

If I got sick I immediately blamed it on smoking. ;)

I believe that getting sick more easily was true in my case. It seemed that each time I started smoking it lowered my resistance to catching colds etc.

Whereas while smoking I always seemed to have a cold or at least a case of the sniffles interestingly, after giving up on smoking I found I was very rarely sick.

It certainly helps if the people around you don't smoke and so I am thankful that I broke the habit before joining the military. At the time that I joined it seemed like everyone who didn't already smoke took up smoking immediately. It was almost funny in a way. People seemed to smoke because it afforded them a chance to socialize and take a break while those who didn't got a double portion of work to do while everyone else was taking their break.

Need more excuses?

People automatically associate smokers with people that have deeper issues. (and from my perspective that is largely the case)

The stereotype may not be true for all but it's true enough that it carries weight.

There are two 'kinds' of smokers, smart and stupid.

The smart ones are those who field strip their cigarettes and don't toss their cigarette butts all over the ground.

You tend to gain a different perspective on smokers after picking up a few thousand butts off of the ground.

Because there were obviously more stupid smokers than smart ones it was fairly easy to predict the future of public smoking because the idiocy and disrespect for public and private spaces free from cigarette butts alone was rapidly getting out of hand.

The problem with being a smart smoker is that to most people a distinction doesn't matter. Everyone just assumes that if you smoke you are probably one of those stupid smokers who will throw your butt on the ground.

I don't usually try to convince people to stop smoking because of the health benefits but some people definitely are more open to that. I suspect this is especially true for someone has lost someone they loved due to lung cancer. Then there is always the 'Does this guy ever stop couching' thing. But to most smokers they don't care about that stuff. They just want to that momentary relief that smoking offers to them. This is the beauty of the patch in that it at least allows people to begin to kick the habit. Ultimately it's a lifestyle change and you may have to separate yourself from those things that encourage you to be a slave to the old habit. It might be that friend that you've got to convince who sees you as suddenly too good to hang out.

My test of success is that if you can get to the point where you are around other smokers and can't wait to get somewhere else you'll have really and truly quit. I use to not care whether I sat in a smoking section or not but only until I started enjoying clean air. ;)

There's a couple guys I work with that I really should approach about quitting but I tend to think that it's none of my business.

I'd like to think that those guys might thank me some day for the opportunity to spend more time with their grandkids.